nvidia Video Card and 2 External Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ace-xyz, May 18, 2010.

1. ace-xyz

ace-xyz

I have a Lenovo W700 Thinkpad. How can I find out whether the video card in it will support 2 24" monitors or not? I called IBM help desk but they were not much help. The video chipset specification is as follows:

512MB nVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. If there is a VGA or DVI port on the back, it probably supports a 2nd monitor of up to 1920x1200 resolution.

With external hardware, you can support 3 monitors, but probably not at 24" native resolutions.

3. LeeD

LeeD

I understand the question is regarding using two external monitors. So, the laptop should have a VGA and a DVI port.

There are reports that some laptops with a single DVI-I port allow connecting a VGA and a DVI monitos via a splitter and run them as 2 separate monitors.

4. Splitters, however, just show the same image on 2 monitors.

5. LeeD

LeeD

It is generally true.

However, DVI-I port combines DVI-D and VGA ports in one. These ports can be assumed to be connected to the same monitor but this assumption isn't necessary. So, if the graphics card handles it, these behave as 2 separate ports.

6. Not claiming such a thing doesn't exist, but this is the first I've heard of it.

There is a DMS59 cable with 1, DVI and 1, VGA port... don't know if it's generally supported however.

7. LeeD

LeeD

From http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/merchandising/US/PDFs/W700_Datasheet.pdf (3rd result when searching for "W700", without quotes, on google):

8. ace-xyz

ace-xyz

9. ace-xyz

ace-xyz

#10     May 18, 2010