Nvidia replacement for Radeon 6850

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maverick1, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Maverick1

Maverick1

Hi all,

So this Radeon 6850 has been terrible since purchase and it's been 4 years now. It would crash regularly in the beginning and now it's starting to act up differently: one of my 4 Dell 1905 screens would not come back after going into hibernation which led me to get rid of hibernation. Now sometimes a screen goes dark (even without hibernation) and I have to restart the computer. .. Sometimes the screen doesn't register at all even after restarting once, so I have to try again or three times. I figure it's just a matter of time before she keels over.

Has anyone experienced this?

So, if possible, I'm never going back to AMD for graphics cards. Is there a NVDA replacement for this one that can power my 4 dell screens (vga and dvi-d ports)? Would an Nvidia product work with my AMX 6100 six core processor? My google searches so far don't inspire much confidence.

Thanks much for any pointers,

M1

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Occam, Maverick1 and lawrence-lugar like this.
  3. Maverick1

Maverick1

Thanks Robert. Have you bought refurbished graphic cards from newegg? Is "refurbished" generally reliable?

4. d08

d08

Nvidia tends to be more reliable nowadays as they actually modernized their lines, therefore resulting in cooler cards that consume less power (also more stable).

5. ET180

ET180

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't. Does the nVidia card use the same interface (probably PCI-E) as the ATI card?

6. just21

just21

Nvidia nvs 510 is the latest four screen card. Nvs line has long been used by traders as they have no 3d capability and therefore run cooler without fans though the 510 does have a fan. Look for an nvs 450 or 410 on eBay for four screen support without fan.

7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

No I have not.

8. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

I recommend rolling back to an older driver, maybe 2 years old and see if that helps. It could also be a windows issue so don't discount that as well. Maybe a clean install of the OS is in order and/or reset your BIOS back to factory or fail-safe settings. 6850 are a good all-round card for trading that have no problem running multiple high-res monitor setups.

Edit: Maybe also try an application called ccleaner that will clean out your registry errors. This can help with these types of issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2016
  9. just21

just21

The nvs 420 and 510 have a fan. The nvs 440 and 450 are fanless. There are a lot on eBay from $30 to $90 for the 420, 440, 450. Though a lot are pictured without cables which you are going to need.

viruscore1 likes this.
  10. I use the NVS 450 and another workstation with dual NVS 420. Reliable and inexpensive. I've even got 4k to run but that's another thread.

#10     Oct 30, 2016