Nvidia NVDA

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by 1flyfisher, Feb 17, 2011.

1. They just reported outstanding guidance and outlook for the rest of the year. They have cutting edge quad core chips hitting the market this year way ahead of the competition. Kal -El quad chip will rewrite the book. The stock is going to take off going into next quarters earnings. A good tech stock to buy/hold/own in a good sector for the next few quarters/rest of the year. Don't miss this one. The story is quite good. Check the Conference Call and do your fundamental analysis. Growth will be phenomenal. Buy before the next leg takes out resistance. The future is very bright for this company and it's stock.

"These strong results underscore the larger story of NVIDIA's transformation," said Jen-Hsun Huang, NVIDIA president and chief executive officer. "Even as we are extending our leadership in visual computing, our investment in mobile computing and parallel computing is now driving our growth.

"Tegra is positioned center stage in the revolution in super phones and tablets, while Tesla is becoming an essential processor for supercomputing. I have never been more excited about NVIDIA's prospects."

NVIDIA demonstrated its next-generation mobile processor, the world's first quad-core mobile processor, at Mobile World Congress. The company is sampling to customers now, putting it at least a year ahead of the competition. NVIDIA expects to see tablets and phones later this year.

Not only did NVIDIA announce quad core technology at MWC, but they showed it working and said it would be available in tablets in August and phones at Christmas 2011. This was one day after Qualcomm announced their quad-core processor wouldn’t ship samples to customers until 2012. However, NVIDIA was sampling as of yesterday.

The below article was prior to MWC.....they kicked a$$ at MWC with the Kal-El first ever quad core mobile processor. No one else has anything like it a Nvidia is going to be shipping it in August. Next few quarters will be sweet for NVDA.
    http://androidandme.com/2011/01/new...hey-might-win-the-next-couple-rounds-as-well/

Here's the conference call
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/205057-nvidia-q1-2011-earnings-call-transcript?source=thestreet
    1flyfisher peace

2. Feb. 17, 2011, 4:38 p.m. EST
    Nvidia shares jump on upbeat results
    CFO says ARM-based chips will be ‘big mover and shaker

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) — Shares of Nvidia Corp. rose sharply Thursday on the company’s upbeat results, as a top executive predicted that chips based on ARM designs will play a bigger role in consumer technology.

Nvidia (NVDA 25.58, -0.10, -0.39%) gained 9.8% to close at $25.68, with Chief Financial Officer David White also downplaying worries about rising inventories in the wake of the tablet craze.

The company’s report reaffirmed Nvidia’s momentum, especially in the mobile computing sector, where its Tegra processors have earned upbeat reviews. Nvidia’s Tegra processors, which are geared to the mobile computing space, have been successful in the fast-growing tablet category, where its chips are being used by such major manufacturers as Motorola (MMI 29.83, +0.16, +0.54%) , Samsung, Toshiba, Dell (DELL 15.31, -0.03, -0.20%) , Asus and Acer.

Tegra is based on technology developed by ARM Holdings (ARMH 30.82, +0.02, +0.07%) , which has emerged as a key challenger to Intel Corp. and has been dominant in the mobile computing market because of its edge in power efficiency.

Nvidia recently said it plans to develop processors with ARM geared to desktops and servers — a bold challenge to Intel. The alliance got a boost from Microsoft Corp (MSFT 27.17, -0.04, -0.15%) , Intel’s all-important partner in the PC market, which broke from decades-long practice in proclaiming that the next version of its Windows operating system will also support ARM-based chips.

“ARM is here to stay, and ARM is going to be a big mover and shaker in the consumer space in the next four to five years,” White said.

Needham analyst Rajvindra Gill on Thursday maintained a buy rating on Nvidia, saying the company “is experiencing a strong design pipeline of Tegra processors across tablets and smart phones. Moreover, the company is reaping share gains in the discrete desktop and notebook graphic processors.”

Citigroup analyst Glen Yeung, however, downgraded Nvidia’s rating to hold from buy, reflecting Citi’s view that increased competitive risks and the threat of excess tablet inventory could constrain share valuations in the near term.

But White, Nvidia’s CFO, said the company’s inventory is “very comfortably within a band that is appropriate.”

“There is some inventory build that’s going on of necessity to put on the shelves this new category of product,” he said in an interview. “Will there be a correction? We certainly hope not. There are no indications it will be an issue.”

Nvidia reported a fourth-quarter profit of $171.7 million, or 29 cents a share, compared with a profit of $131.1 million, or 23 cents a share, for the year-earlier period. Revenue was $886.4 million, down from $982.5 million.

Adjusted income was 23 cents a share. The results included a $57 million credit to operating expenses — $37.1 million after taxes — in connection with a legal settlement, which includes a new licensing agreement, with Intel.

Analysts had expected the chip maker to report earnings of 21 cents a share on revenue of $897.7 million, according to a consensus survey by FactSet Research.

For the current quarter, Nvidia said it expects revenue to grow 6% to 8% sequentially, which translates to roughly $939.6 million to $957.3 million. Analysts had expected the company to report sales of $891.2 million, according to a consensus survey by FactSet Research.

Benjamin Pimentel is a MarketWatch reporter based in San Francisco.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nvidia-shares-jump-on-upbeat-results-2011-02-17

3. Nvidia Shows Tegra Kal El, Promises Five Times Performance
    Thu, 02/17/2011 - 07:44 — shc-boomer

From X-bit Labs: Nvidia Corp. at Mobile World Convention (MWC) demonstrated for the first time the third-generation Tegra product called Kal El. The new incarnation of Tegra boasts five times higher performance compared to the predecessor, supports a number of new features and is projected to be available starting from August. The company also revealed Tegra roadmap till 2014.

Nvidia did not reveal precise specifications of Tegra "Kal El", but based on a previous report we do know that the system-on-chip is based on four Cortex-A9 application cores, will feature a GeForce graphics processor with twelve stream processors and will have a new display and video engines capable of supporting Blu-ray disc video playback and stereo-3D graphics output. Other capabilities and clock-speeds of the novelty are not known previously. Nvidia claims that the new chip outperforms Tegra 2 by up to five times.

At the Mobile World Congress (MWC), Nvidia demonstrated that the Tegra 3 can browse the Web, run games and stream/decode video with 2560x1440 (1440p) extreme HD resolution. At the trade-show Nvidia demonstrated its Tegra "Kal El" in an Android-based tablet with 10.1" screen.

Based on Coremark 1.0 benchmark results demonstrated by Nvidia, Tegra 3 is about two times faster than Tegra 2 and offers even higher performance compared to Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 desktop microprocessor.

The mobile powerhouse named after the planet where the Superman was born will first hit the market inside a PC in tablet form-factor sometimes in August and will even become a part of smartphones by Christmas, according to Nvidia.

http://aphnetworks.com/news/2011/02/17/nvidia-shows-tegra-kal-el-promises-five-times-performance

4. nitro

nitro

5. This is a great article

3 reasons why NVIDIA won round 1 of the multi-core wars, and why they might win the next couple rounds as well
    Taylor Wimberly on Jan 25 at 4:02 pm

I am a fan of mobile technology. That is the reason I was drawn to purchase the T-Mobile G1 and it’s also the reason I started this blog. Over the years I’ve authored some pretty opinionated articles and have been accused of being a fanboy for HTC, T-Mobile, and now NVIDIA, but the only club I am loyal to is Team Android.

It took me awhile to figure out my blogging niche, but I finally realized I’m a passionate early adopter who obsesses with the latest technology and this has caused me to travel the globe in search of the next big thing. I am honestly still trying to figure out the role I play in this demanding Android community, but you can be sure that I will continue to blog about the things I find exciting.

This month I returned to Las Vegas for CES with the hopes of experiencing the mobile computing revolution that everyone in the industry loves to talk about. Last year brought us 1 GHz processors and 4G networks, but I truly believe that 2011 will be the period that we all look back on in 5 years and agree that it changed everything.

My current obsession is with multi-core processors coming to mobile device and this is the reason I’ve done about 50 posts related to dual-core CPUs. During CES I met with NVIDIA, Qualcomm, and Texas Instruments to see what they were working on and all three companies showed me some pretty impressive demos. However, only one company got me excited about buying products that they powered.

If CES 2011 was round 1 of the multi-core wars for mobile devices, then NVIDIA won by a spectacular knockout. The following list details three simple reasons why I think NVIDIA will rise to the top producer of processors for high-end smartphones in 2011.
    1. First dual-core matters to the early adopters

Looking back at CES, the best smartphones were powered by NVIDIA’s Tegra 2. This includes the LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix 4G, and Motorola Droid Bionic. These new phones represent the next-generation of mobile devices and I believe the benefits are compelling enough for anyone to pull the trigger that is looking to upgrade their current Android phone.

It is too early to tell which companies’ dual-core offering might be the fastest, but I don’t really think it matters at this point. From what I was shown, all the first-generation of dual-core processors will offer similar experiences, features, and performance. NVIDIA might lead in some benchmarks while Qualcomm and Texas Instruments lead in others, but all the dual-core CPUs will offer significant improvements over their single-core predecessors.

So if the first wave of dual-core processors delivers a similar experience, there is no reason on waiting for the other companies to ship their chips. If you want a dual-core mobile device in Q1, buy a Tegra 2 smartphone.

Not only was NVIDIA the first to market with a mobile dual-core CPU, but they are looking to keep up that momentum with the next generation of Tegra chips. In our interview with Michael Rayfield of NVIDIA, he emphasized the velocity at which his company moves and said, “I believe I will have my next generation Tegra in production probably before my competitors have their dual-core in production.”

It looks like he wasn’t bluffing because we just learned of NVIDIA’s new Tegra 2 3D and quad-core Tegra 3 parts that should be coming later this year.
    2. Premium content sells phones and makes money for the operators

Since we know that most dual-core CPUs will be quite similar, each semiconductor company will need to make the extra effort to differentiate their offering. NVIDIA’s strategy is to push their Tegra Zone, which is an application that showcases all the premium games specifically optimized for the Tegra 2 processor.

We spoke with the game developers at CES and it was easy to see the excitement in their eyes when talking about working on the Tegra 2 platform (go watch the interviews – 1, 2, 3). The Tegra 2 includes an ultra low power (ULP) Geforce GPU that features a similar architecture to that of NVIDIA’s desktop GeForce GPUs. This means that game developers can use the same assets from their console and PC games, which greatly reduces the amount of work it takes to get a game up and running on Android.

Featured developers that have committed to support Tegra 2 include several big names like Electronic Arts, Epic Games, Gameloft, Glu, Factor 5, Trendy Entertainment, and many more.

As we saw with the Samsung Galaxy S and the iPhone 4, the fastest platform does not always get the best games. Samsung’s Galaxy S featured a faster GPU than the iPhone 4, but Apple’s phone was the platform that all the developers targeted. When it comes to console-quality Android games, Tegra 2 will be the platform that developers optimize their games for.

In 2011, the best Android games will be found on Tegra devices.

I asked Qualcomm and Texas Instruments to explain their strategy to differentiate, but neither company provided me anything that I could share. Qualcomm even went as far as to say, “We allow the operators to differentiate their devices. The most important customers for us are the phone makers and the operators, not the end-user who buys the phone.”

Clearly, you can see the different approach between NVIDIA and their competitors.
    3. Google chose NVIDIA to power the first Honeycomb tablets

Finally, if you don’t believe my analysis then just ask Andy Rubin and Google. His team put a lot of time and effort into Honeycomb to make sure that it provided the best tablet experience for Android and they chose Tegra 2 as their development platform.

The Motorola Xoom will be the first Honeycomb tablet and now many other companies have adopted the Tegra 2 processor for their products so they can get to market faster. I am certain that Honeycomb will eventually be up and running on a Qualcomm Snapdragon or Texas Instruments OMAP4, but the first wave of Android 3.0 tablets will all be Tegra 2 powered.

Now that Google has a strong relationship with NVIDIA, it could result in the next generation of Tegra processors becoming the lead platform for future versions of Android. If NVIDIA actually delivers a quad-core 1.5 GHz Tegra 3 by Christmas, you can bet that Google and their manufacturing partners will want to get a piece of those holiday sales.
    Conclusion

Please remember that this is only a snapshot in time, but right now NVIDIA appears to be in the best position among all the companies fighting to power the mobile computing revolution. I’ve received a ton of hater comments and emails for writing about Tegra 2, but it’s the only mobile processor that gets me excited about going out and purchasing my next Android phone. When someone else produces a better chip, you can bet I will write about it.

If anything, we should all be happy that NVIDIA is changing the mobile industry by forcing their competitors to speed up their release cycles. We should see a new Tegra every year (and maybe a refresh part each six months) so our mobile devices are going to become increasingly more powerful (and kick ass).

As we approach Mobile World Congress, I am anticipating a response from Qualcomm, Samsung, and Texas Instruments. NVIDIA wowed me and got me excited about buying the products they powered – Can you do the same?

http://androidandme.com/2011/01/new...hey-might-win-the-next-couple-rounds-as-well/

6. NVIDIA KOs the competition, quad-core CPUs in Android devices by summer
    Taylor Wimberly on Feb 15 at 6:59 pm

Everyone in the industry was aware that NVIDIA was working on a quad-core processor, but I doubt that any expected them to demo their next-generation Tegra at Mobile World Congress. Tonight in front of a small audience of bloggers, NVIDIA showed off the world´s first mobile quad-core CPU and revealed it would arrive in Android devices this August.

Before we dive into the details of the this chip, I wanted to point out how NVIDIA chose to reveal this information to the world. Instead of paper-launching their next-generation CPU and saying it would arrive in 2012 (like Qualcomm and Texas Instruments did just days ago), NVIDIA skipped the press release entirely and delivered a working tablet along with several jaw-dropping software demos.
    The Tegra roadmap revealed

The presentation started with NVIDIA announcing their Tegra roadmap through 2014. Sticking with earlier statements, NVIDIA will maintain their yearly cadence by release a new Tegra every year.

The Tegra 2 has often been referred to as a super-chip, so NVIDIA went with super-hero names for their upcoming mobile chips. Project Kal-El (assumed to become Tegra 3) will arrive in 2011 and deliver 5x the performance of Tegra 2, followed by Wayne in 2012, Logan in 2013, and Stark in 2014.

As ridiculous as this sounds, Project Stark (Tegra 6?) is expected to deliver 100x the performance of Tegra 2 in just three years from now.
    Unbelievable performance

To demonstrate the power of their quad-core CPU, NVIDIA started with an Android tablet decoding 1440p video to an extreme HD monitor (2560 × 1600 panel). It looked simply amazing. We were later told the source video was shot with a Red digital camera and then downscaled to 1440p for the demonstration.

Next we saw a series of game demos that compared the current Tegra 2 with the upcoming Project Kal-El. We were asked not to reveal the details of several games, but we did witness about a 3x performance increase in graphics performance. Advanced games that could barely crack 20 frames per second on Tegra 2 were running at a silky smooth 60 fps on Kal-El.

One game demo we can talk about is History Channel Great Battles: Medieval from War Drums Studios. This game was released for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 last year and it was currently being ported to Honeycomb tablets. Thomas Williamson, lead developer and CEO, had less than 24 hours to get the demo running on the quad-core Kal-El, but he was able to pull it off since NVIDIA´s new platform uses a similar GeForce GPU architecture.

Next we saw some benchmarks like CoreMark, which showed Kal-El (score of 11,354) out performing Intel´s 2 GHz Core2Duo T7200 (score of 10,136). NVIDIA said this silicon was only 12 days old, so we can only expect that performance will continue to improve as they optimize the platform.

Highlights of Project Kal-El include:

* World´s first mobile quad-core CPU
    * New 12-core NVIDIA GPU, with support for 3D stereo
    * Extreme HD – 2560 x 1600
    * 5x Tegra 2

Overall, I was extremely impressed with that NVIDIA showed. I have the whole thing captured on video, but there is no way that will be going up tonight on my hotel´s WiFi connection.

Update: Here is a video of some of the demos courtesy of Will Park from IntoMobile.

* News
    * Phones
    * Carriers
    * Apps
    * Games
    * Calendar
    * Podcast

NVIDIA KOs the competition, quad-core CPUs in Android devices by summer
    Taylor Wimberly on Feb 15 at 6:59 pm77 comments

* Tagged
    * #1440p
    * #Kal-El
    * #logan
    * #multi-core
    * #mwc
    * #MWC2011
    * #nvidia
    * #popular
    * #Project Kal-El
    * #quad-core
    * #Stark
    * #Tegra 3
    * #video
    * #Wayne

NVIDIA KOs the competition, quad-core CPUs in Android devices by summer

Everyone in the industry was aware that NVIDIA was working on a quad-core processor, but I doubt that any expected them to demo their next-generation Tegra at Mobile World Congress. Tonight in front of a small audience of bloggers, NVIDIA showed off the world´s first mobile quad-core CPU and revealed it would arrive in Android devices this August.

Before we dive into the details of the this chip, I wanted to point out how NVIDIA chose to reveal this information to the world. Instead of paper-launching their next-generation CPU and saying it would arrive in 2012 (like Qualcomm and Texas Instruments did just days ago), NVIDIA skipped the press release entirely and delivered a working tablet along with several jaw-dropping software demos.
    The Tegra roadmap revealed

The Tegra roadmap through 2014.

The presentation started with NVIDIA announcing their Tegra roadmap through 2014. Sticking with earlier statements, NVIDIA will maintain their yearly cadence by release a new Tegra every year.

The Tegra 2 has often been referred to as a super-chip, so NVIDIA went with super-hero names for their upcoming mobile chips. Project Kal-El (assumed to become Tegra 3) will arrive in 2011 and deliver 5x the performance of Tegra 2, followed by Wayne in 2012, Logan in 2013, and Stark in 2014.

As ridiculous as this sounds, Project Stark (Tegra 6?) is expected to deliver 100x the performance of Tegra 2 in just three years from now.
    Unbelievable performance

CoreMark benchmark comparing Kal-El to the Intel Core2Duo.

To demonstrate the power of their quad-core CPU, NVIDIA started with an Android tablet decoding 1440p video to an extreme HD monitor (2560 × 1600 panel). It looked simply amazing. We were later told the source video was shot with a Red digital camera and then downscaled to 1440p for the demonstration.

Next we saw a series of game demos that compared the current Tegra 2 with the upcoming Project Kal-El. We were asked not to reveal the details of several games, but we did witness about a 3x performance increase in graphics performance. Advanced games that could barely crack 20 frames per second on Tegra 2 were running at a silky smooth 60 fps on Kal-El.

One game demo we can talk about is History Channel Great Battles: Medieval from War Drums Studios. This game was released for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 last year and it was currently being ported to Honeycomb tablets. Thomas Williamson, lead developer and CEO, had less than 24 hours to get the demo running on the quad-core Kal-El, but he was able to pull it off since NVIDIA´s new platform uses a similar GeForce GPU architecture.

Next we saw some benchmarks like CoreMark, which showed Kal-El (score of 11,354) out performing Intel´s 2 GHz Core2Duo T7200 (score of 10,136). NVIDIA said this silicon was only 12 days old, so we can only expect that performance will continue to improve as they optimize the platform.

Highlights of Project Kal-El include:

* World´s first mobile quad-core CPU
    * New 12-core NVIDIA GPU, with support for 3D stereo
    * Extreme HD – 2560 x 1600
    * 5x Tegra 2

Overall, I was extremely impressed with that NVIDIA showed. I have the whole thing captured on video, but there is no way that will be going up tonight on my hotel´s WiFi connection.

Update: Here is a video of some of the demos courtesy of Will Park from IntoMobile.
    Availability

The most shocking part of the event came when NVIDIA shared the availability for Kal-El. The chips are sampling now and we should see them in tablets by August and smartphones will arrive by Christmas (confirming an earlier prediction of mine).

Michael Rayfield, General Manager of Mobile of NVIDIA´s mobile business unit, hinted at this when we previously spoke with him at CES saying, ”It will be pretty quick. I believe I will have my next generation Tegra in production probably before my competitors have their dual-core in production. And so that talks a lot about velocity.”

NVIDIA´s aggressive release schedule is still shocking because the other semiconductor companies are not expected to have comparable chips until the second half of 2012.
    Imagine the possibilities

If you thought the Atrix 4G was an innovative product, just wait till you see what the mobile device manufactures dream up for Kal-El.

I´ll go out on a limb and predict that Google will select Tegra 3 as the lead platform for the next major Android release (Jelly bean?) and slap it in their Nexus 3 this Christmas. Maybe my dream handset with Android, Chrome OS, and Google TV on a single device will actually become a reality.
    Reactions

This is such huge breaking news that I am still trying to comprehend how it will change the mobile industry. I´m hitting publish now, but I will continue to update this post throughout the night.

For more coverage of Kal-El check out:

* Anandtech
    * Engadget
    * IntoMobile
    * PCMag
    * NVIDIA blog
    * SlashGear
    * UberGizmo
    * LaptopMag
    * TechnoBuffalo

We would love to hear what you think in the mean time.

http://androidandme.com/2011/02/new...-quad-core-cpus-in-android-devices-by-summer/