NVIDIA graphics cards for multiple monitor (2560 x 1600 resolution)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tresor, Feb 2, 2009.

1. gnome

gnome

Power consumption on the 570 is 38W, max. On the 1700, 42W, max. Nothing to worry about in the "power" department. The average modern computer runs about 150-180W at idle and usually comes with a 350W or greater PSU.

The only "power hungry" components are (1) gamer graphics cards, and (2) PERHAPS a HOT CPU.

#21     Feb 4, 2009
  2. gnome

gnome

So.... you're going to get a Xeon rig with 2 Quadro FX video cards for about $600? Sign me UP! I'll take a dozen! :D

#22     Feb 4, 2009
  3. Tresor

Tresor

Actually, Dell's 30''er is a bit pricey when it arrives to my country (customs duties + frieght costs).

What I am going to save on the machine I will loose on the monitors.

#23     Feb 4, 2009
  4. Tresor

Tresor

Guys,

I found the right motherboard: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution. It has 6 x PCI Express x16 slots (but 3 slots can be used at 2.0 transfer with x16 speed at one time).

There was one bug in BIOS, but the problem was already solved by Asus (review + 2 short movies): http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYwMiwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

This seems to be the optimal motherboard for my multimonitor setup. In line with your recommendations, I will put NVIDIA Quadro FX570s in it (3 pieces).

I will wait a couple of months till mainstream makers of desktops realese models with this board and will buy one.

Thanks a lot for your input in this thread :)

#24     Feb 17, 2009
  5. gnome

gnome

Weird. No PCI slots. I doubt mainstream makers will release computers with this board. $363 street price? This looks like "workstation" all the way.... not even a slot for a sound card... might be an issue for extreme gamers.

#25     Feb 17, 2009
  6. Tresor

Tresor

Yes,

This is a motherboard for the workstation segment.

Dell, HP, Fujitsu-Siemens are making workstations, but most probably Alienware will be the first to introduce this board.

#26     Feb 17, 2009
  7. Creative have put out a range of higher end sound cards that are PCIe.

But yeah, that motherboard looks more suited to running data crunching applications. If it had six, dual-GPU video cards running CUDA, that'd be quite a supercomputer!

#27     Feb 18, 2009
  8. Tresor

Tresor

Just checked. The sound is is built-in.

Regards

#28     Feb 20, 2009
  9. gnome

gnome

Well, "A" sound capability is built in, but a serious gamer isn't interested in "onboard audio"...

#29     Feb 20, 2009
  10. Tresor

Tresor

#30     Feb 20, 2009