nVidia display chips or circuit board confusions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bolimomo, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Hi guys:

I am not a hardware guy. I have some confusions on the namings and knowing who's who. I am hoping you can clarify them for me. Recently we have a few threads discussing multiple head display cards.

I see the term "GeForce" used a lot in many of the packagings. PNY uses it. EVGA uses it. nVidia uses it.

Now... nVidia is the company making the graphics chips. Right? But it looks like they have their display card products as well? (Kind of like Intel? Making chips as well as complete circuit board solutions?) And GeForce is the name of one of their product lines???

Now EVGA and PNY are 2 manufacturers for display card products, right? When they name their card nVidia GeForce 6200 or 9400 GT or something like that... does it just mean they use the nVidia GeForce 6200 chip (or 9400 GT chip)????

EVGA and PNY name their products (model numbers) almost identically. I wonder if they just follow the nVidia chip model numbers in naming their cards. But they always confuse me.

2. nvidia graphics chips are used in all geforce branded cards. and as far as i am aware nvidia disigns reference boards for each chip
    class. pny, evga, etc basically ship copies of these with some tweaks, such as the ability to overclock and gpu cooling.

3. Thanks for the info imabadboy. It does clear up my confusions.