Number of monitors and profitability

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Pekelo, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, that's what I was driving at. My simplest trading strategy involves only 10-15 trades a year, checking the signal once a day, and when acted on it, leaving it alone for 2 weeks.
    The funny thing would be though is to divide profits by the number of monitors one uses.... :) Maybe we could call it simplicity ratio.

#11     Oct 3, 2005
  2. I think what you have to ask yourself is who are the other monitors for? To show other people that you "made it" or to increase your efficiency in obtaining and monitoring data. i for one have a brand new flat sitting in a box, ie i dont need it yet.

#12     Oct 3, 2005
  3. In all fairness to the basic question...it is "easier" to have multiple monitors for certain people. For instance, I have to now suffer with 5...let me explain.

1 for doing this, answering emails, posting to website, basic computer stuff on a minute to minute basis...one designated screen and computer.

2. 3 monitor trading computer, with dual screen Redi (which all our traders get)...and the third screen to keep the Pairs spreadsheets open...both a portfolio watcher and a Master pairs sheet for recording.

3. 1 computer and screen for monitoring risk of traders...although I do tie it to a "daisy chained" spoo chart as well.

To each his own...heck, flat screens are $199 now...not a big deal anymore.

Don

#13     Oct 3, 2005
  4. I'll have some fun with this...

Instead of you trying to determine profits per monitor...

Have you tried determining profits per look at a monitor or viewing time at a monitor. :D

How about this...what about the size of the monitor ???

Shouldn't size matter in determining your profit level ???

:D

Ok...I was bored...heading to lunch now.

NihabaAshi

#14     Oct 3, 2005
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Actually, this is not as silly, as it sounds. Compare this 2 traders:

#1. Sits in front of 5 monitors, trades all day, makes 70% profits
    by scalping and pays a shitload in commissions.

#2. Trades infrequently in every 2-3 weeks, takes a look at the charts (and the one monitor) once a day for 3 mins, makes 70% profits annually, with basicly no commissions cost and eyestrain, stress etc.

I think you got where I am going with this....

#15     Oct 3, 2005
  6. nitro

nitro

I have eight of them and I am always looking to get more.

It has nothing to do with information to use on _one_ trade - I simply want to trade and be exposed to as many markets as possible and have two computers running systems on top of that running remotely which I remote desktop to.

To answer original question though, I have traded on a laptop at SBUX with three stocks on my screen and the ES and had more good days than bad.

So as usual, the answer is as unique as the person asking it. To start with, three is plenty.

nitro

#16     Oct 3, 2005
  7. when i'm not in the office, i use a recently upgraded system, eight 21" lcd's at a remote site hidden from the world 2 rows, four on each row as i can have up to a hundred positions going at once (not opg). i cover more than 10 sectors within the stock market, several commodities accounts, and have them charted up at all times along with the entire sector component quotes.. i like to use nice big fonts so i don't need to squint. all my t/a setups are automated and alert me to focus on whatever is going on. i have used fewer monitors in the past, but having to click around takes up too much time. i found myself missing a ton of opportunities which was why i traded so infrequently. i also have a quote screen which gives me a blanket view of the entire market in general with color codes and audible indicators. when the dow is tanking, i can break apart the market and dissect it in detail. may seem like overkill to some but i couldn't trade without it.

oh i also forgot to mention the big red button with a fail safe which i interfaced to my computer.

#17     Oct 3, 2005
  8. I would say that in the short term the co-relation would be very weak. However to become a better trader in the long run I believe it is necessary to constantly be increasing the amount of information you are taking in. This is a similar principle to the overload concept in weightlifting. Once you get good at lifting 100 pounds you need to start lifting 110 or you'll never improve.

So to improve as a trader one of the things that could help in the long run is to keep increasing the number of screens and and the numbers of windows open on these screens. A guideline could be to always have a lease one indicator that you don't use open at a time.

#18     Oct 3, 2005
  9. the guy who does #2 must be a friggin genius. :D

#19     Oct 3, 2005
  10. Yes...

The fact is that your not the other guy.

Also, your trying or attempting to compare two completely different types of traders.

Now...had you said something like this...

Trader 1: Trades infrequently in every 2-3 weeks via 2 monitors...blah blah blah.

Trader 2: Trades infrequently in every 2-3 weeks via 5 monitors...blah blah blah.

Then comparing the two to determine more about their trade methodology...

May be worth starting a thread about.

My point is...its not as simple as you think until you attempt to do what the other guy calls simple trading.

Therefore, what's simple trading to him may be stressful trading, cause losses or whatever when we attempt to do such.

Last of all, don't underestimate the power of organization.

Thus, someone that's very organized, discipline and because of such is able to manage trading via 5 monitors versus someone that's not organized, lacks discipline and trading via 1 monitor...

There's more to simple trading than the number of trades or the number of monitors.

NihabaAshi

#20     Oct 3, 2005