Nuggets For Options Traders!

Discussion in 'Options' started by Multioption, Oct 16, 2005.

1. I trade in the direction of the long term trend, preferably weekly chart!

#11     Oct 17, 2005
  2. qiuniu

qiuniu

READ.

You'll know when those gaps are going to occur in opening.

I LOVE buying before opening.

#12     Oct 17, 2005
  3. gandutron

gandutron

short es options (call and put) and hedge with futures when the short strike is danger...

#13     Oct 17, 2005
  4. I first determine the trend mode followed by the phase; accumulation, consolidation, et al..I then look for long/short signal.

My confirmation comes from the weekly chart, and entry point by the intraday. In some cases, the intraday may be the sole determinant of my action.

#14     Oct 18, 2005
  5. cnms2

cnms2

What is your opinion about using stop, stop-limit, contingent, trailing, oto, oco orders? Especially for stop-losses and exits?

Thanks.

#15     Oct 19, 2005
  6. Isn't you risk is limited with Gap opening?

Anyone?

#16     Oct 19, 2005
  7. Good question! Money management in trading is somewhat difficult to teach/explain because I believe it should be based on knowledge and expectations. One of my trading rules demands that I set a stop-loss while another of my rules overrides the need for it.

More often than not, I consider trade adjustment (Calendar spread) before stop-loss is considered. My exit plan is to take profits after 40% returns, but sometimes I hold longer especially if the security is trending.

In a nutshell, one should be flexible in following rules; and this, I think, should be based on knowledge.

#17     Oct 20, 2005
  8. #18     Oct 22, 2005
  9. cnms2

cnms2

McMillan's book is definitely a great options encyclopedia, but I guess the purpose of this thread is for people successful at making money from options trading to share some of their thoughts (nobody shares secrets). It's like Merriam-Webster's a great dictionary, but it won't make you money as a novel writer.

#19     Oct 22, 2005