Nuclear power plant problem in US

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ChkitOut, Jul 18, 2012.

1. http://www.timesherald.com/article/...nusual-event-reported-at-limerick-power-plant

(Updated at 10:55 a.m.) LIMERICK — The Nuclear Regulating Commission said it is closely monitoring events at the Limerick Generating Station after a manual scram around 8:15 a.m. shut down the reactor at the nuclear power plant.

According to NRC spokesman Neil Sheehan, an electrical fault was reported in a transformer in a turbine building that spurred the scram and that the transformer is not a main transformer.
    The event was listed as an “unusual event” around 8:39 a.m., the lowest of the event ratings, Sheehan said. No one was injured in the incident and no outside help was requested, Sheehan said.
    Sheehan said the transformers have been known to fail from time to time and that the reactor was safely shut down.

Sheehan said there are no complications at the power plant at this time and there is no danger to the public from the incident.

[​IMG]

2. Nuclear Fueled, Steam Turbine Generated Power Plant

Just say'n.

1. Heat Water.
    2. Make Steam.
    3. Spin Turbine.
    4. Eletricty.
    5. Rinse & Repeat cause we can't store this shit.

3. BSAM

BSAM

Nuke plants should be banned in the USA.
    In fact, they should be banned worldwide.
    Yeah, I know how much you just looooove your air conditioner.
    How much you gonna love it when you and your loved ones are dead?

4. Why do you believe that they should be banned? I am not trying to instigate a fight, I'm pretty on the fence about this issue, but I'd like to know what your arguments against nuclear power are.

5. BSAM

BSAM

Mmm...Death?
    Ever heard of Japan?

Sorry for being flippant, my brother, but the answers should be quite obvious.

6. Well, in Chernobyl, wasn't the operator at fault drunk or something ridiculous like that? Also, new reports came out saying that the Fukushima disaster was caused by poor judgement, it could have been avoided, or something like that, I didn't read the article when I saw it. I agree, nuclear power can be very dangerous, but it is also very beneficial if operated correctly and safely. But clearly, we have quite a way to go in terms of ensuring the safe operation of nuclear power plants. Wouldn't you say that more research on all aspects of nuclear power (most notably, administration), needs to be done instead of a shutdown of nuclear power plants?

7. BSAM

BSAM

Brother Grin, with all due respect, your post explains why man can't be trusted to run nuke plants.

When things go wrong with nukes; they can go too badly wrong.

I say shut them down.

Of course, our government officials will always "assure" us that they are safe and necessary.
    Too bad for the corrupt, lying, paid for politicians, because the people are slowly but surely seeing the truth.

8. You are right, it does look like [certain] people can't be trusted to run nuke plants. It's unfortunate, because they are necessary (in the sense that we need a lot of electricity) and they supply a lot of electricity with a small amount of resources. But I did think about it a little more. I live near Indian Point Energy Center, however, I do not remember hearing about this news story that I found on the wikipedia page about Indian Point:

On November 7, 2010, an explosion occurred in the main transformer for Indian Point 2, spilling oil into the Hudson River.[21] The owner of the Indian Point nuclear plant later agreed to pay a $1.2 million penalty for the transformer explosion.[4]

:(

9. jem

jem

they supply large amount of electricity with untold amounts of resources... because we have no idea how much it costs to safely store their waste / byproduct.

If we stored the waste properly we might find them to be cost prohibitive or we might consider different design and different fuel.

10. piezoe

piezoe

Although one must realize, as I suppose you do, that that kind of thing could occur at most any large power plant nuclear or otherwise.

#10     Jul 18, 2012