Nuclear Plant's Fuel Rods Damaged, Leaking Into Sea

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Banjo, Mar 21, 2011.

1. . . . as soon as they solve the storage problem.

#31     Mar 23, 2011
  2. Well,

Tokyo water is now unsafe to drink

#32     Mar 23, 2011
  3. MKTrader

MKTrader

Wait and see. Three Mile Island wasn't nearly as bad as it was (and still is) hyped up to be. If you rely on media hype and emotions to make decisions, you'll fail at analyzing issues like this and be an utter failure at trading.

#33     Mar 23, 2011
  4. Since the Arab oil embargo in the '70s, America has periodically lamented "we have no energy policy". Yeah, and we STILL don't... except to become ever more dependent upon ME oil. How stupid is that? Whose palms are being greased for this stupidity and greed?

And then there's Odumbo... he STOPS all drilling in the Gulf by American companies [environmental reasons, you know]... then loans/gives Brasil $Billions in loans/subsidies/gifts to "drill in the Gulf". He's such a PECKERHEAD! How could you losers have voted him into power??

#34     Mar 23, 2011
  5. MKTrader

MKTrader

So far, the technology proposed for solar/wind would only supply a fraction of our energy needs, and comes at a big cost (both $ price and environmental). Obama has sold it like snake oil b/c it sounds great to his drones, but simple math and physics don't jive with "green energy" claims.

If you know of workable, proven, cost-efficient ways to harness this energy (not just theoretical stuff), do tell. Or don't tell and become a billionaire by doing what you claim.

#35     Mar 23, 2011

6. Sorry but your land price estimate is way too high. The link below shows there is a lot of private land availabe for ~$200 to $1000 per acre.

http://www.landwatch.com/New_Mexico_land_for_sale/500_Acres?

So, there are ~640 acres per sq mi. Assuming a land cost of ~$500 per acre this gives a total land cost of about $964 billion. Also, I'm sure a lot of the land used would be borrowed from the gov't, which would also reduce the cost.

#36     Mar 23, 2011
  7. futuman

futuman

When ready Onkalo will be about 500 not 5000 meters deep. They say bedrock in Finland is very stable and will not crack. However just last week there was a small earthquake. Though the rock is millions of years old, there are cracks and the groundwater flows in these cracks to the sea. They aim to store the dangerous waste in copper capsules which should last forever. In fact the whole idea came from Sweden. Some scientists there say that the capsules will only last a few hundred years due to corrosion. Guess what happens to this radioactive shit when it leaks from the tubes. It will be in the Baltic sea in no time.

#37     Mar 23, 2011
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

#38     Mar 23, 2011
  9. Yes, I meant 5km of roads which will reach 500 meters deep. I hear they will be using bentonite clay to create a buffer against corrosion. It can abosorb numerours times its dry weight in water. At the same time it will be put in reenforced concrete tubes. While it may not last 100,000 years it is the only thing that comes close to being a permanent solution.

#39     Mar 23, 2011
  10. futuman

futuman

After the last tube is placed in the cave it will be closed permanenently and nobody is allowed to go there ever. If something should go wrong there is no way of knowing. I would say extremely risky and unfair heritage for thousands of future generations.

#40     Mar 23, 2011