Nucking Futs

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by my2cts, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Htrader

Htrader Guest

Whenever I hit a rough spot, I start keeping a journal that details everyone of my trades and why I entered/exited. I also print out a chart of the trade.

It takes an insane amount of time to do it all, but it really helps me focus on my trading and pinpoint the weak spots.

#11     Nov 1, 2007
  2. jd7419

jd7419

So you started trading in 2001 right? This market is reminding me lately of the volatile times of 2001-2002. How did you do during that period? I know that was the beginning of your career but it might prove useful to look back on that period.

#12     Nov 1, 2007
  3. Sell Premium, and keep selling.

You can do a few years on the sell side and then Blow up. If your lucky, you can call the right moment when to stop selling premium.

#13     Nov 1, 2007
  4. Midas

Midas

Decrease your size until you get consistant again. Also, taking a break really helps.

#14     Nov 1, 2007
  5. You should have named this thread "back asswards" instead

#15     Nov 1, 2007
  6. Term

Term

OP, I've seen people in your shoes before.

You need to gain your confidence back. The above helps and I would also recommend trying to go for a series of "layup" trades... where you gain that consistency and then confidence.

#16     Nov 1, 2007
  7. I can't believe nobody's said this...

Hope you have some cash for this:

1- 1 way ticket to Vegas
    2- Get FUBAR'd
    3- Get laid

or

1- 1 way ticket to Hawaii
    2- go to sunset beach
    3- exhale

Either way, come back when you're ready.

#17     Nov 1, 2007
  8. my2cts

my2cts

Thanks for those who responded with reasonable answers, and they all seemed reasonable, so a month later and cutting my positions back about 50% in size and building momentum I have managed to build some confidence back. I wish I only had done the whole Hawaii and Vegas things prior to getting the confidence back. Because, now I will be plugging this thing until the next rut, which if my history is correct will be six years from now...Vegas can wait.

#18     Nov 19, 2007