NQ traders

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by spd, Mar 8, 2010.

1. spd

spd

Is this kind of price action common in this instrument?
    [​IMG]

Ive never traded NQ, and rarely have I looked at it.

Obviously, this is just a cherry picked example from this morning, but I am just curious if it is normal to run into that kind of straight up/straight-down chop. Is that just algos going to town? I mean that looks almost untradeable, a giant pain in the ass at the very least. Id be interested in hearing some insights from those who trade this regularly.

2. Today market is choppy in general....

3. spd

spd

Right, I realize that. It was choppy across the board, but that looks exceptionally irritating.

4. Do you have the right chart?
    It helps to see the scale on the side of the chart so to see what we are looking at.

5. spd

spd

Here is the whole day

[​IMG]

3/8/10 NQ 5min
    Like I mentioned, Ive never traded NQ and its not usually something I watch carefully.

It smoothed out as the day progressed, but the first couple hours were brutal. Just wondering if that is atypical of that market or not. There are times the Nasdaq shows some great relative strength, just contemplating trading opportunites I may be missing, but if chop that vicious is commonplace, I'll pass.

6. It's not common, we had big trend day on Friday and today was consolidation day.

7. deaddog

deaddog

NQ ES YM all about the same today.

Don't make the assumption based on one day.

8. it's not typically that bad, but for me that is easy to read and I was long @ 88 even, and sold @ 92, just a scalp but they add up when you get several a day.

9. spd, how you like today?

10. spd

spd

Well, I was trading CL and 6E all day, so to be honest I havent looked at it until just now. But...

[​IMG]

That looks pretty damn nice, definitely not an annoying day to trade. Im going to start keeping a closer eye on this contract.

#10     Mar 9, 2010