NQ jumping around, is it IB feed?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tango29, Mar 10, 2020.

1. tango29

tango29

Just curious if this is really the movement on the NQ or related to IB and the tick aggregation they use? During the past week of volatility the NQ has been really jumpy on IB Booktrader, showing spreads from normal 1 tick to a full point on occasion. It hit the point where I went to ES for trading, which I hadn't used regularly for a long time, but much smoother and not seeing anything other than normal 1 tick spread.
    Thanks

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Has it rolled to June?

3. tango29

tango29

Not yet

4. %% Dont know;
    they may do that around tops/bottoms. SDOW jumps around most all the time, mainly up today; not very liquid, but liquid enough LOL....................................................................................... I have no idea if it closes up today ?? ??

5. trader99

trader99

Yesterday at the open, the spread on NQ was 20pts! and jumping around. crazy

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. Do you (or anyone) know how IB decides which month to use for the continuous future for various contracts? I haven't been able to figure out why they avoid this month for bond futures, but roll 2 weeks before for ES.

7. ZBZB

ZBZB

no idea, bond future continuous, on IB, is useless as the volume rolls before IB roll.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  8. OK so I do have to keep doing it manually then. Or maybe I should just do it based on volume.

9. tango29

tango29

I was just looking at NQ and it is ridiculous the spread and bouncing around. I haven't opened my backup for futures trading, I guess that maybe the way to check if it is IB or just how it is moving.
    I never use IB's continuous setting, I just roll when I see the volume go on my own.

10. comagnum

comagnum

The liquidity got rotten on the NQ - I switched over to the ES, Nikkie (Osaka or SGX Yen), Stoxx50, and cash (QQQ) which always has much deeper book depth.

The book depth started declining on Feb 18th and than just about vanished causing the huge spike in the spread (5 lots, 40-60 tick spreads). Big contraction of depth in the treasuries, gold, & 6E to name a few - it's not just the NQ.

Jan 2, 2019 thru Mar 9, 2020
    upload_2020-3-10_8-36-58.png

Feb thru Mar 9
    upload_2020-3-10_8-43-54.png

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    #10     Mar 10, 2020