NQ futures day trading systems

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by DT-waw, Apr 18, 2002.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

Yes, if you trade millions of dollars 8% a year vs 4% risk-free is a difference.

But with small acct about 30k you have to make 100% a year to have money for a living ( if you have no other income ). One of the ET Members said "trading is easy when you have other income source" - that's true.

DT-waw

#11     Apr 18, 2002

2. I agree with you brother...I say you and I get together and collaborate on a book. We'll call it "Hit and Haul-Ass Trading"
    :D

#12     Apr 18, 2002
  3. DT-waw

DT-waw

I attach system performance reports from Amibroker for 4 indices: NQ100, SP500, Nikkei225 and DAX30.
    System were optimized for acct return criteria and for each index separately.
    There was no money management optimization - margin x1
    Maybe you could get higher returns with higher margin.

You can't create much better systems based on EOD trading for these futures, IMO.

NQ100 index was the best in EOD trading. I can't wait to see intraday results.

DT-waw

#13     Apr 20, 2002
  4. DT-waw

DT-waw

Nikkei 225 performance:

#14     Apr 20, 2002
  5. DT-waw

DT-waw

Nasdaq 100 index performance:

#15     Apr 20, 2002
  6. DT-waw

DT-waw

S&P 500 performance:

#16     Apr 20, 2002
  7. ChrisM

ChrisM

How far did You backtest results ? Such results usually comes:

1. From error
    2. Spotting temporary cycles (long trend has own mechanism, but once is finished, the cycle is gone

Trading "live" the system can clear this out.

#17     Apr 20, 2002
  8. Recently, I decided to test some very simple ideas using a variation of "N-day breakout" with a different "n" factor....I tested for the past 3 years and I simply adjusted the profit targets/stop allowances...I also put in an "open equity giveback" stop of 15% once an initial target was hit...

The tighter I placed the stop, the higher the profit factor and the lower the winning percentage...With a very simple "n" day breakout on the sp 500, I had a 6.50 profit factor with a 31.79% winning percentage...When I expanded the stop to approximately 1/3rd of the ultimate profit target, the profit factor dropped to 3.79 and the winning percentage hovered around 49%...

I went through the trades and the system did account for a variety of "outlier" events or price spikes so even the abnormal(beyond the intended stop) trades were included...I then continued to test the "n breakout" with different "n" factors including the Donchian System with a 20Day breakout and 10D trailing stop...While the system had some big gainers(in fact March 1st-March 21st is an example of one of the trades), the amount of lag before triggering the buy basically made reasonable stops impossible...

#18     Apr 20, 2002
  9. DT-waw

DT-waw

ChrisM:

J Yen and Eurodollar: backtested from 1981 to 1999 ( missed huge gain on eurodollar 2001/2002 ).
    DAX, NDX, N225, SPX: from May 1994 to Apr 2002.

Take a look at charts, there were many non-trending periods.

Nobody wants to show his/her intraday system performance on NQ100? :(
    DT-waw

#19     Apr 22, 2002
  10. Attached is a Tradestation 6.0 backtest on the $NDX.X for 20 "shares" of NDX per trade (equal to 1 e-mini NQ) using my proprietary " Q` system". Not perfect but not bad IMHO

#20     Apr 22, 2002