NQ: Follow the trend.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by deaddog, Feb 2, 2009.

1. deaddog

deaddog

Move stop and reverse to 1297.5

#51     Apr 14, 2009
  2. deaddog

deaddog

filled @1297.5
    Gain 60.25 points
    To Date Loss 30 points

Stop and reverse @ 1322.5

#52     Apr 15, 2009
  3. deaddog

deaddog

Filled @1322.75
    Loss 25.25 points
    To Date: Loss 55.25 points

Stop and reverse @1298

#53     Apr 16, 2009
  4. deaddog

deaddog

Move stop and reverse to 1375

#54     May 2, 2009
  5. Perhaps, you should consider developing an improved 'trend' definition, prior to, blowing out your account.

- Spydertrader

#55     May 2, 2009
  6. Can you post a chart from time to time that shows your reversal entries? It would be very helpful to visualize it and see if your strategy has room for improvement.

#56     May 3, 2009
  7. deaddog

deaddog

No danger of doing that. The very worst I'll do is lose 5K, thats my uncle point.

I'm only looking for a few good trends per year.

Always looking for suggestions.

My charting program only goes back 10 days.

I'm waiting for a long term trend.

I expected to be whipsawed and have drawdowns.

Here is the chart I use.
    30 min with a 30 MA. Trend line is drawn by hand.

[​IMG]

#57     May 3, 2009
  8. pspr

pspr

Can I suggest using channels instead of just moving averages? Either Bolenger or Keltner. Long when outside the upper channel and short when outside the lower channel. Flat inside the channel.

Also, you need to at least use something like hquote that allows you to download historical data so you can test your system to see if it would have worked historically. Otherwise, whipsaws are going to kill your account.

#58     May 3, 2009
  9. deaddog

deaddog

What settings do you suggest for the keltners and on what time frame?

Keep in mind that I want a set and forget type of system. With what I'm doing right now, once the order is placed I don't have to watch anything until the stop and reverse is triggered.

Re the historical charting for NQ. How does the charting software handle the change in contracts every 3 months?

#59     May 3, 2009
  10. pspr

pspr

Hquote just pulls free historical data from Yahoo. You will need to decide on your charting program such as Tradestation, Metastock, Sierra, AIM, etc. Same with time-frame. That depends upon you. If you only want to check your analysis at the end of the day you will obviously use daily charts.

The exact system you use will need to be created from historical analysis YOU do. For starters, there is an excellent article in the January issue of Stocks & Commodites (Applying Hysteresis To Moving Averages, Join The Band by Marco Alves) that suggests using certain bands to improve on moving average crossover systems.

Good Luck

PSPR

#60     May 3, 2009