NQ (E-mini Nasdaq 100 Futures) Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by increasenow, Jun 27, 2008.

1. #21     Jun 28, 2008
  2. My NQ trading strategy:

Trade the NQ 1-3 times per day during regular trading hours using 1-10 contracts per each of those trades. My GOAL per each of those 1-3 trades is to capture 2-10 points each time. I always go "all in" and "all out" and no scaling into or out of a position...I always use market orders to exit and enter...I have never had a problem using market orders on the NQ...average trade time lasts from :02 to :20 minutes approx....

please share your NQ trading strategy...

#22     Jun 28, 2008
  3. paden

paden

Sure, it was kinda vague huh

My favorite instrument to trade is the /er2, russell2k. However, cme sold the rights to ICE, and will no longer be trading on cme. My broker uses cme, not ice. I need to look elsewhere.

Despite my love for trading /er2, need to ditch it, and find another. To me, the best choice is the /nq.

One other thing about the /nq. I found many ndx indicators which worked on the /er2, so i was using them anyhow.

i.e. vxn movements were more tied to /er2 than vix movements. since i am using vxn anyhow, swittching to /nq is easy...

#23     Jun 28, 2008
  4. in for this thread.

since i got interested in futures (2 months ago lol) i've been focusing on the YM (and 6J, 6B, and 6E), but this thread has made me want to look at the NQ. i never really considered it before. does it really trend better than the YM?

anyway, subscribed.

#24     Jun 29, 2008
  5. Mine:

Base size is 2 right now. My first goal for the day is to be + 5 pts net, scalping. Tight stops, usually just 2-3 points, but I'll tighten this up if the trade goes sideways. Once 5 pts goal is met, I scale UP, not down, as the trade goes my way, adding 2 each time I get a slight pullback and then a continuance in "my" direction. I'll use a stop loss order here at a previous support level to get all out.

I'm a trend follower, and only trade in the dominant direction, using 5 minute bars and volume to show me the dom direction. I refine my entry point using constant volume bars. Also use cvb to determine the support levels for adding and exiting as described above after I've scaled in. On my scalps, I don't use these support levels, but follow the price run up pretty closely with my stop loss and get out right quick to get my 5.

#25     Jun 29, 2008
  6. a long time ago..when I heard that the ER2 was going to ICE I stopped looking at forever...now it is totally the NQ for me...

#26     Jun 29, 2008
  7. welcome Ironfist!...I like the NQ also because it has larger volume than YM and less bad fills that the YM has due to larger bid ask fills on the YM...also...if you take the atr or average true range and times that times all the inedexes per point value..the NQ would be the least whichmakes it more approachable for a bew trade trading 1 contract...as for the trend is better...I have heard that so much about the NQ and put up a chart of es or ym and nq..the NQ seems to have less whipsawa and less chop then the ym or es..but others know much more than me..again welcome

#27     Jun 29, 2008
  8. cool stuff..when you scale up...may I ask...how many NQ contracts can be open for you per day max?2,4,6,10 etc

#28     Jun 29, 2008

9. For me, its 1. :p

#29     Jun 29, 2008
  10. forgot to mention...I have a tendency to look for NQ shorting opportunities daytrading...I honestly believe I look to short about 80 to 90 percent of the time...I feel more comfortable in correctly analyzing a sell set up than a long set up for whatever reasons...does anyone else do this or maybe totally opposite?

#30     Jun 29, 2008