NPR Thanks Obama For Payoff

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Feb 15, 2011.

1. File this under one hand washes the other. NPR, famous for its far left tilt on everything, is grateful to the Obama administration for increasing its funding.

Some might question how we can possibly cut the deficit if we can't eliminate funding for a controversial exercise in government propaganda.

NPR thanks Obama for budget 'vote of confidence'
    Comments (0) Share Print By: Byron York 02/15/11 9:21 AM
    Chief Political Correspondent
    As some Republicans on Capitol Hill try to cut, or even eliminate, its government funding, National Public Radio has sent a public thank-you to the Obama administration for proposing an increase in taxpayer funding for public radio.

"Public broadcasting received a vote of confidence today from the Obama Administration," NPR said in a statement Monday. "The President's FY 2012 budget submission to Congress included $451 million for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) for the two year advance appropriation for FY 2014, an increase of $6 million over FY 2013 funding."

Vivian Schiller, the head of NPR -- and focus of much controversy over the firing last year of commentator Juan Williams -- released a statement saying she is "grateful to the Obama Administration for recognizing the importance of public radio to the life of communities across the nation."

"At a time when our country is confronting many difficult challenges," Schiller said, "public broadcasting is providing an essential service by informing and educating 170 million Americans every month. This mission is more relevant than ever."

It is difficult to determine how much of its budget NPR receives from the federal government. Schiller has said in the past that the figure is "less than two percent annually, on average" of NPR's total budget. (The organization's most recent budget was $166 million.) House Republicans believe the government's part of NPR's budget is much bigger, but how much bigger is not clear. NPR receives money not just from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting; it also receives government dollars from the National Endowment for the Arts, as well as the Departments of Education and Commerce. In addition, Corporation for Public Broadcasting money that goes directly to public radio stations is cycled back to NPR when it is used to purchase NPR programming.

In any event, if the portion of the Obama budget dealing with public broadcasting is passed, NPR will receive more, not less money from the taxpayers.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs...ks-obama-budget-vote-confidence#ixzz1E3hhigR1

2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

NPR is no better than Pravda and I refuse to see my tax dollars supporting it.

I guarantee that cessation of NPR funding will be attached to the continuing resolution to temporarily fund the government.

NPR is dead, killed by their own bias.

3. Well, NPR will not be killed, only the small amount of government funding it receives. Most of their funding comes from contributions from their upscale listeners. For some reason, they think the rest of us are obligated to chip in too.

What should be zeroed out is the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which is the liberal slush fund that runs the whole pravda effort including not only NPR but public televison as well. They always trot out Big Bird and some crying tots to intimidate republicans into backing down, but I don't think that ploy will work this time. People are too sophisticated and know that their properties generate huge amounts of revenues.

Other liberal slush funds that should be zeroed out include the National Foundation for the Humanities and the National Foundation for the Arts, both of which cater to the extreme left, radical gays, etc. Let their rich supporters fund them if they are so essential. The NYC art crowd has billions to throw around, so they can easily fund them if they are worth it. Instead, they would rather taxpayers in middle america support their hobby.

4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Do you think NPR can survive without a government patron?

I say it goes the way of Air America because that is its closest analog.

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yeah, I was wondering that too.

6. I enjoy some pieces on NPR, however I find their transparent bias revolting. I understand from older folks that there was a time when each media outlet had a bias which they were more or less honest about, and that none of them really claimed to be bias free. I wish that it were more honest in that way today. Everyone knows that fox is biased towards republicans, and everyone else is biased towards dems, it's just aggravating that they aren't more honest about it.

7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I can't listen to NPR very long. The bias and disinformation pisses me off quickly. I don't mind if they broadcast that tripe, I do mind paying for it.

Disagree about bias back in the day. None of us knew Cronkite was a flaming libtard until he revealed it late in his retirement. He managed to keep it out of his reporting during his whole career making the unraveling of Dan Rather even more shocking. Rather was incapable of keeping his bias concealed.

No, the standard in the 50s and 60s was unbiased reporting.