Now vs 1907 Bank Panic?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Mar 14, 2008.

1. joebonds

joebonds

Do you have anything that remotely resembles proof?? BSC is bleeding in the shark tank...JPM and lesser sharks will eat all of it, grow on the good stuff, and crap out the rest

That might be the most original spew ever posted here--WTF is that supposed to mean?

I won't waste time on the rest of what you wrote

#11     Mar 15, 2008
  2. Good article from the OP. In 1907 JP Morgan got the banks, the private sector, together to figure out a solution. This is the good.

Today the NY Fed did a non-recourse, back-to-back financing to JPM. Basically JPM borrowed a ton from the Fed to give to Bear. If Bear goes belly up the Fed can't get JPM to repay back the money it borrowed. What a great system!! This is the bad and the ugly.

And this is called capitalism. For all those who object, where's your patriotism?!?!

#12     Mar 15, 2008
  3. zdreg

zdreg

The Panic of 1907: Lessons Learned from the Market's Perfect Storm by Robert F. Bruner and Sean D. Carr (Hardcover - Aug 31, 2007)

how prescient.

#13     Mar 15, 2008
  4. newbunch

newbunch

And where will you put all your gold? Under the mattress?

#14     Mar 16, 2008
  5. these days there are safes

#15     Mar 16, 2008
  6. plugger

plugger

Hi newbunch. I just finished reading the Panic of 1907. A very interesting read.

With regard to your question, people did literally stuff it 'under the mattress'. In addition (and ironically), the rental of safety deposit boxes at the banks soared during this period of time. Weird. People didn't want to leave their money "on deposit" with the banks, but were willing to put it into safety deposit boxes within the same banks. Go figure.

I guess it goes to show how irrational things can get during events like this. In the book, the speed at which the financial institutions found themselves with liquidity problems was quite literally overnight. There may be some truth to Bear Stearns saying they were blindsided by the decline in their liquidity (although I'm sure anyone with some foresight could have seen this coming. Maybe Jimmy Cayne should spend a little less time playing bridge).

It seemed that once a "run" or even rumour of a run started, it was too late. As the book states, problems begin when the bank is questioned about its liquidity. That starts events rolling.

#16     Mar 16, 2008
  7. newbunch

newbunch

My point exactly. If the financial system collapses, what guarantee is there that you'll have access to your safety deposit box?

Which means you'll have to store your gold in your house. Under your mattress. In a safe (hidden I hope). Under the floorboard. In a hole in the ground with a treasure map.

BTW, read Pit Bull by Martin Schwartz. In 1987, he runs to bank to get his gold from his safety deposit box. Interesting read.

#17     Mar 16, 2008
  8. newbunch

newbunch

How much does a good safe cost? How do you stop people from breaking into your safe or stealing the safe with everything inside?

#18     Mar 16, 2008
  9. There are all kind of safes, some so heavy they can't even run away with your gold :)
    just google it

#19     Mar 16, 2008
  10. Regarding the 1907 panic, Chapters 8 & 9 of Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" provides a good picture of what was going on the months leading to the panic... and the day of the panic.

Starting on page 90:

#20     Mar 16, 2008