Now job seekers has to pay appication and background check fees

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Jul 10, 2010.

1. How many threads are you going to pollute with this racist bullshit ?

For those who dont know this guy has to comment on every jobs thread about not hiring blacks

#11     Jul 11, 2010
  2. This is sort of like those tv ads where you get a shit load of crap for nothing but pay shipping charges which is where they make their money.

For mass business you could get a credit reporting agency to do credit reports less than $5 bucks easy.

On the other hand they only want serious people to apply so there is a bit of herd culling here too.

#12     Jul 11, 2010
  3. There was an incident in Canada a few months back. A friend of mine was telling me how things were looking great for his job application for a $26.00 an / hr plus benefits to be a sign maker for the Ontario ministry of transportation (cushy government job here, possibly for life).

The job had no skills listed other than basic computer skills, and he was convinced he had an in. Low and behold, I talk to my father later that day who tells me his own story that 1000s of people have applied for an MTO job that is well paid, which he heard on the radio that day as the hosts were talking about this thing. It turns out the guy working at MTO called the local radio station to tell them 1000s of people had signed up.

So I tell my friend the story, and he was totally pissed off that I told him that this employee had called the radio station to say his dream job was being chased down by 1000s of people. The illusion was so much more thrilling for him.

You can imagine with good Marketing its possible to at least evade the fees associated with recruitment. Beyond that, I don't see the benefit in finding out that your desperate job candidates are stupid enough to pay money to you to get a job... I wouldn't want them as employees. But then again, I happen to be honest!

#13     Jul 11, 2010
  4. Exactly! charging a fee for an $8/hr job would attract the most desperate or naive job seekers.

Any employer that charge an application fee or background check fee is suspect at best - if not an outright scam.

#14     Jul 11, 2010
  5. I would never pay for a background check. That's a sign to me of a poor, loser company.

#15     Jul 11, 2010
  6. Agreed, but if they check after offering position they should already know if you are a pretty good fit otherwise they don't know how to interview. The background check is just a formality for most.

#16     Jul 11, 2010
  7. Friend got hired at an engineering firm. Job started immediately upon passing a drug test. She had to pay for the test, reimbursed in the first paycheck. No pass meant no job and out $27 for the drug test. No do-overs allowed for six-months.

She passed no problem, and is now a productive member of society. She was a "strategic" 99er, picking up $1600 monthly.

#17     Jul 11, 2010
  8. Something doesn't sound right here. I worked with engineering firms, and many friends also work for in the profession. Never had a drug test. Never heard of one.

If the company is serious about hiring a worker, they would pay for the test. Testing and background check is well and fine. However, only loser business or scams charge the job applicant for it.

I wonder how much Wal-mart charges its workers for its surprise drug tests.

#18     Jul 11, 2010
  9. You need to get around more. Drug tests are the norm in many professions, engineering included. As for a scam, it's an employers market; Why would should *ANY* company outlay for FAILED drug test. No pass, no job, pass gets reimbursed. Totally within employer and employee rights, totally within reason.

#19     Jul 11, 2010
  10. While I still don't like it that's more reasonable a contract to reimburse if you pass.

#20     Jul 11, 2010