Novice daytrader. Updated every weekend.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Kovacs, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Kovacs

Kovacs

Every weekend, I'll post pictures of my blotter for the week as well as a PNL summary.

At this point, I'm 6.5 months in without a single positive month.

Next update: 28 July 2007

2. Kovacs

Kovacs

Things to try from 30 July 2007 to 3 August 2007:

- Trade off 5 min charts
    - Focus on only three high-volume ETFs (XLE, XLF, SMH)
    - Take big winners (3:1) and use divergence to measure the risk of a profitable trade going against you.
    - Don't play chop.
    - Be more selective than ever about which trades to take.
    - Avoid scaling out if there is no indication of a probable reversal or deep retracement (to the 20 ema and beyond).

Next update: 5 August 2007

3. belavia

belavia

Looking forward to it. Perhaps you could talk a bit more about your methods?

4. Kovacs

Kovacs

Thank you.

I'll share once the method and I prove to be consistent.

5. Kovacs

Kovacs

What went right:
    - Managed to get multiple big winners ($0.70+/share) on friday simply by hiding my blotter.
    - Successfully traded divergence off the 5-min SPY.
    - Good coordination between EMAs, volume, NYSE Advance/Decline, and R & S for risk and trade management.

What went wrong:
    - Lost a lot of profit playing chop
    - Exited a few huge trades too soon
    - Averaged in too late at times
    - Walked away from desk too often
    - Overtraded
    - Poor loss from top control

Improvements for this week:
    - Also look at 2-min chart for each ETF
    - Continue hiding blotter
    - Average in more shares early on
    - Keep trades under 20 round-trip/day
    - Look at XOI to help trade XLE, and XFI for XLF.
    - After the first hour, pay close attention to what is a potential trade and what is merely chop.

Next update: 13 August 2007

6. interesting .. I am new at this. I wanna trade full-time but I have to still pay bills..

I trade options and I am about -15% on 2007. ALthough I get a few winners.

I'll like to join your thread. Here is todays blotter. I work for a financial company so I have to use eTrade. Commision is killing me but still make money on winning trades. I can only freely trade indes and ETFs.

I like SPY and QQQQ options. For day trading I concentrate on ATM options ... today -2%

7. Kovacs

Kovacs

Welcome.

8. Kovacs

Kovacs

Last week is my best one so far. I made more during that time than the last six months combined. I hope it's a turning point but I'm not taking anything for granted nor getting complacent. Thursday was a record day at a net of $502. I almost had double that on friday, but it ended in disaster.

On friday by 14:00, I was up $954. I was so eager to get to one thousand that I jumped into the first trade that looked remotely profitable. After losing $184, my emotions took full control. Eventually, I lost so much from my peak that I was electronically locked out and ended up with $271. I believe impatience is the last major hurdle I need to overcome before I can get consistent.

What went right:
    - Aggressive
    - Able to hold trades longer without hiding blotter.
    - Getting into trades at the end of retracements rather than waiting for new lows/highs.

What went wrong:
    - Missed tells from the market because of lack of focus and impatience. I'm missing divergences, volume on longer timeframe charts, and significant levels. Missing runs because of this.
    - Scaling out too much, too early instead of waiting for the market to tell me when to get out.
    - Overtraded
    - Too much adrenaline during the first hour of trading

What needs to be improved:
    - Priority: MORE PATIENCE
    - More anticipation of probable trades; less reactive trades.
    - Calm down
    - Scale out methodically. Listen to the market.
    - More focus.

Next update: 20 August 2007

9. 0008

It seems you are a pretty big player! Lots of capital?

10. Kovacs

Kovacs

It's relatively small (150K). I'm a trainee at a prop firm.

#10     Aug 13, 2007