NOVEMBER 5, 2008 Some Trend-Following Funds Are Winners in Rough Market

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by nkhoi, Nov 8, 2008.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

"Still, Mr. Niederhoffer is not planning any celebrations.

“The greatest danger at a time like this is hubris,” he said. He has banned fist-pumping victory poses on his trading floor. "

sounds like a level head guy.

#11     Nov 10, 2008

2. I don't rip on jw. Only his public methods that will spell disaster for all but a few lucky ones.

Surf

#12     Nov 10, 2008
  3. EPrado

EPrado

Yeah, seems nothing like his brother. Not an egomaniac blow up artist.

Probably learned a lot from fading his brother in a lot of ways.

#13     Nov 10, 2008
  4. EPrado

EPrado

Disaster?

Your credibility (what's left of it) goes out the window with comments like this.

You praise a guy like Neiderhoffer who has gone bust TWICE and vaporized all his clients money using a method that is widely used by a ton of people (except the others had money mgmt skills). Then say a guy like JWH who has made his clients a ton of money over the years (and whose clients are making a fortune over the last year) is a disaster ?

Let's take this to another level.....tell me about JWH's "public" methods.....and dont start this buy and hold crap...because if you knew how a trend follower traded, you would know the difference between "buy and hold" and how trend followers initiate/exit positions.

If his method is so "public" you should be able to explain it to me.

Was VN's method of selling SP puts secret and not "public" knowledge?

This should be good...

#14     Nov 10, 2008
  5. Niederhoffer, for instance, has distributed iPods that play an endless loop of "Let's Get It Started" and "We Will Rock You" to his employees

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/11/hedge_fund_bans_fist-pumping.html

#15     Nov 11, 2008
  6. Funny!

What happened to the show tunes and megaphones, RG is more hip?

surf:D

#16     Nov 11, 2008

7. I will happily explain JWH's public disclosed method---

it's called BUY/SELL and HOPE !

just try to trade trend following method with an average size retail account....

surf

#17     Nov 11, 2008
  8. EPrado

EPrado

Average retail traders can sure as hell trade the same strategy. They just have to have correct position sizing, proper money management(stops) and a longer term view. It's obviously not for daytraders. Kinda lame response there Surf.

Again...you have very limited knowledge(if any) of how trend traders do their thing.

You should probably read up on them before blabbing away about them.

You obviously understand your boy VN's methods of picking up nickles in front of steamrollers.

#18     Nov 11, 2008