Nov / Dec weekly options

Discussion in 'Options' started by turkeyneck, Nov 23, 2012.

1. I noticed all the Nov and Dec weekly options are out already. Normally, next week's weeklys don't come out until the Thurs before. Is this something new or just for the holiday season?

2. sle

sle

There has been an announcement from CBOE that they are rolling out all of the weeklies for the next for weeks in time for the Black Friday sales. You will notice that the implied vols on these weeklies are somewhat discounted too.

3. Kirkx

Kirkx

The implied vols "somewhat discounted"?. That's an understatement. Just wait for the Boxing Day, they will be 75% off.

4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I'm going to buy some as stocking stuffers. Do you think I can get a gift receipt?

5. Kirkx

Kirkx

Ok Turkeyneck, no more jokes. Earlier this year exchanges started to roll out weekly equity/index options expiring 1,2,3,4 weeks out, not just 1 week out as before. Future options had weeklies like that for a long time. Just check the option chain of the underlying of your choice, the list of symbols with multiple weeklies available is growing all the time. If a symbol has quarterly options listed, there will obviously be no weekly available for that week.

6. I don't think anyone understood your "Boxing Day" reference. There is no Boxing Day (Dec 26) in the USA, they have Black Friday instead.