Nouriel Roubini: The Dollar’s Demise

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, May 14, 2009.

1. piezoe

piezoe

Someone else please help here. What is the guys name that publishes economic data as it used to be computed? (Williams ??) I have the chart and will give you the link as soon as I can find it, if someone else can't find it before I do.

P.S. I believe the latest data out shows it has dropped to about 6% from the earlier peak near 12%.

Found it! It's John Williams' site http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data

And i was wrong about the timing we hit those highs in looks like mid 2008.
    A brain is a terrible thing to lose.

#41     May 15, 2009

2. and that is the great unanswered question: where will rates be on treasuries down the road?

#42     May 15, 2009
  3. Oh you mean ShadowStats? Even his calcs were nowhere near 12% in early '09.

http://www.shadowstats.com/

#43     May 15, 2009
  4. piezoe

piezoe

That's right it was actually mid 2008. Was off by 6 months. Sorry.

#44     May 15, 2009
  5. achilles28

achilles28

Depends how long bankers restrict credit and loans for.

The "off-switch" to the economy is banker-controlled. The more they "lose" (by restricting credit), the more trillions are funneled onto their balance sheets.

When Bankers decide they've had enough, they'll ease credit and standards, lending and money creation will ramp, then inflation will hit.

#45     May 16, 2009
  6. Roubini:

"Having commodities priced in dollars has also meant that a fall in the dollar’s value doesn’t lead to a rise in the price of imports."

Really? Where has this guy been? During the recent commodity rally dollar exchange rate moved opposite to commodity prices. Gas prices skyrocketed in the US but they rose relatively less in Europe due to the rise in Euro.

This policy of a weak dollar is what mostly created this mess in the first place. The Chinese keep their exchange rate artificially low against the dollar for selling to the US and then they complain about the fall of the dollar. Very innapropriate.

HOW can anyone complain for an effect that it is caused by own action?

If the Chinese have left their exchange rate free they would not have the surplus they did, they would not have poured billions in the US from the money they received from US, interest rates in the US would have been higher and this whole crisis would have been restricted to an S&L type crisis of the 1980's and not to a worldwide crisis.

Now, if Roubini knows this but still likes to eat Chinese and don't say it I don't like that. If he doesn't understand this, I am not surprised, many talking heads understand nothing they speak about.

But it is more than hillarious to talk about a country that does not have basic human rights as a candidate for world reserve currency status.

Sooner of later all cranks make mistakes if they speak too much and they are exposed.

A historical perspective:

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/006/Y4344E/y4344e04.htm

#46     May 16, 2009
  7. The Yen is the wedge and the Yuan will blossom when everyone can see the game is up.

#47     May 16, 2009
  8. Roubini has been 100% LONG the S&P 500 throughout the meltdown.

#48     May 16, 2009
  9. :confused:

I don't understand this claim. Roubini long equities?

Do you have any link or something that demonstrates this?

Thanks.

#49     May 16, 2009
  10. MGJ

MGJ

#50     May 16, 2009