Nouriel Roubini how george bush got us into this debt mess.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 16, 2011.

1. bone

bone

From IBD

The Economy Dems Now Own

Posted 06/16/2011 06:22 PM ET

Politics: The head of the Democratic National Committee says the administration has turned the economy around. So let us give discredit where discredit is due.

Joe Biden should sue DNC chief and Florida Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz for copyright infringement based on her statement at a Politico breakfast. We thought the vice president had a monopoly on statements completely detached from reality.

"We own the economy," Schultz said. "We own the beginning of the turnaround, and we want to make sure that we continue that pace of recovery, not go back to the policies of the past under the Bush administration that put us in the ditch in the first place."

That's right, Debbie, you guys own the economy, though you might explain President Obama's chuckle about those shovel-ready jobs not being as shovel-ready as he thought. Does your "pace of recovery" include an official rate of unemployment of 9.1% after a failed trillion-dollar stimulus was supposed to cap it at 8% and force it downward?

That official rate, based on a monthly survey of sample households, counts only people who reported looking for work in the past four weeks. It doesn't account for part-time workers who want to work more hours but can't, given the tight job market. And it doesn't include those who have given up trying to find work.

When the discouraged and underemployed are added to the mix, that figure is closer to 16.6%.

Our IBD/TIPP Poll consistently shows 20% of households have at least one member looking for full-time employment. This translates into 30 million people.

Actually, Schultz's statement is only slightly more delusional than the one Obama made recently to employees at a North Carolina company that manufactures LED lights, while plants making Thomas Edison's incandescent bulb are outlawed and forced to close to save the planet.

"We stabilized the economy, we prevented a financial meltdown, an economy that was shrinking is now growing," the president said.

He must have been talking about federal jobs, virtually our only growth sector.

A plane that has crashed into the ground cannot be said to have leveled off.

We note that Obama did not speak at the new Boeing plant in South Carolina that his National Labor Relations Board has placed under siege because Boeing wants to create jobs in a state where people aren't forced to join a union as a condition of employment. Jobs are good only if they are union jobs.

#31     Aug 16, 2011
  2. Max E.

Max E.

And what do you think of Obama's intelligence?

#32     Aug 16, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Obama has intelligence? Do tell.

#33     Aug 16, 2011
  4. Simple:

Asked during the debt ceiling debate if he would use the 14th amendment to override Congress, he said no. A lesser man would have given in to the arguments the left was making on that. Now he's taking lumps for what he did, but his oath says he's supposed to defend the Constitution, and that's what he did.

#34     Aug 16, 2011
  5. Max E.

Max E.

So your belief is, if he had raised the debt ceiling with NO cuts to the deficit we would not have been downgraded?

#35     Aug 16, 2011
  6. I don't know. Not what I posted. What I posted was about the question raised about whether the 14th amendment could be used to override Congress. Obama, correctly in my view, decided it couldn't be used that way.
    If you want to debate this other subject, feel free to let me know. But it has nothing to do with the simple fact that he defended the Constitution when he was called to do it.

#36     Aug 16, 2011
  7. Max E.

Max E.

So because he didnt break the law and crap all over the constitution in that particular instance I should respect him?

Well he didnt choose to confiscate everyones guns yesterday, does that mean i should consider him the best president ever?

There have been plenty of areas where Obama has trampled on the constitution, am i supposed to like him because in 1 very specific instance he chose not to trample on the constitution even more than he has already?

You sure have a low bar set as to what you desire in a president.

#37     Aug 16, 2011
  8. Max E.

Max E.

Yeah thats probably an oxymoron on my part. :D

#38     Aug 16, 2011
  9. Rick Perry called for Texas to secede. It's not treason to say stupid stuff like that, but it is correct to call it treasonous talk. Certainly stupid and irresponsible talk, but these days, the right gets to say all kinds of unbelievably stupid and irresponsible things, and no one takes them up on it because they've got the entire media cowed.
    Of course, the folks who intend to vote for this stupe don't care, or agree with him. Cause they're just as patriotic and intelligent as he is. Most of them didn't think Obama was born in the US until he produced the long form. Most of them probably (I don't hang out with these dumbfucks) still do, I'm sure.
    That's number one.
    Number two, what I posted was meant as an example, specifically, of Obama's intelligence. Also his judgment. It was actually a discerning judgment call, given that you could easily argue that the clause in the 14th being cited gave him a kind of veto over allowing the Congress to drive us into default.
    But it would have caused a huge mess, that once everyone got over their shock, would have badly backfired.
    Bush, OTOH, went into Iraq and removed a secular leader Osama bin Laden enthusiastically hated, and who was also a useful buffer against Iran, an avowed enemy of the US for thirty years by now.
    In the name of 9/11.
    And the dumbfucks who voted for him believed it.

#39     Aug 16, 2011
  10. Also, I'm done with you.

#40     Aug 16, 2011