Notifications

Discussion in 'App Development' started by masterm1ne, Aug 15, 2016.

1. I want to create a phone app that will send me alerts based on some criteria. I have ibroker (trading phone app though my broker) with data that is updated in real time. Is it possible to create an app that uses data from another phone app to send alerts with any usefulness?

I would prefer to do this on my phone since I think it could achieve essentially what I want though I notice the data is slightly laggy through my broker's application, also the features are very limited (ie no tick charts).

Or should I just create a program on a desktop and have it run all the time and send me texts/emails when criteria are met?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. My limited experience of programming apps for phones is that you have to wrestle with a lot of API crud (a bit like writing windows programs).

I have gone for the second option - much easier.

GAT

3. I don't figure I'll get too complex. All I really need to do is feed the data source into some database/arrays and do some calculations. Not planning on making fancy UIs or anything.

4. Simples

Simples

Depends if you want to waste battery power on something like this always running in the background on your phone, plus you need to figure out where to get the real-time data and how real-time you need it to be. First you could research if there's some service out there already that can provide such alerts, if you don't mind leaking your interests, or even if maybe some apps do this already. If you love to code and maintain code, this sounds doable. Depending how intense this scanner needs to be in regards to how many instruments etc., such services are better done on servers though.

UPDATE: Multiple instruments, multiple scans, trend-detection.. How fast refresh-rate and no push? Sounds underwhelming to do on an underpowered mobile device.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  5. All I want to do is analyze a basket of non-correlated commodities using trend lines/channels and support and resistance on several time scales, then send alerts to myself when criteria are met.

6. I don't know a ton on programming, but have a buddy with automated systems, and he went for the text/email alert route. Said it was much simpler to do from a computer and just have it message him.

7. 2rosy

2rosy

Agreed. not sure why the OP is mentioning phone apps. This is a simple sending of a message. you can do it with whatsapp

FCXoptions likes this.
  8. So, can I use the data from my broker to create my program?

I'm familiar with programming in languages, but not sure how to grab market data.

9. 2rosy

2rosy

yes. connect to your broker, subscribe to data, handle incoming data