Notice On Trading Sanctioned Companies

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by HappyTrader, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Anyone else get a notification that if you are a US person you are no longer permitted to trader certain sanctioned companies from China?

I knew there were sanctions, but did not know they would penalize smaller investors who hold a few shares of these companies.

Anyone know if this will cause problems to non-US persons residing outside of the US?

2. JSOP

JSOP

Finally somebody is doing something to protect small investors from being defrauded by scam Chinese companies!!

Nobert and fourtiwinks like this.
  3. I did not receive such a notification. Could it be that IB has only sent this to customers who actually hold such shares?

4. My other broker notified HSI traders by raising margins to infinity. For non-us customers too.

IB make a distinction between US based and ROW customers fortunately so theres no general notifications but I expect the systems will deny you access if your country does.

5. I believe you have to hold the shares. The header of the notification said something about due to the fact that I have the shares ... etc. etc etc...

6. Yes, I believe IB also increased margin on those Chinese stocks to 100%.