Nothing Works!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by none4425, Sep 11, 2019.

1. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

You talk about "trend", sooo...

1) Trends overlap. 5min trend may be down, but 15min trend may be up: Basic stuff. Your example of 5min/daily is out of whack being that earlier you talk about scalping. There will be significant drawdown in your example time pairing. First order of business is to define/locate the "trend" fractal you want trade. Next order is to define the next higher fractal so you can properly work within the overlap.

2) What do all time frames have in common? Most will say pricing. However, the other correct answer is volume. You want a hint?... volume in context of your chosen trend fractal. !In context! If you fail to get the context, you are stuck with price only, i.e. this thread.

HTH

#11     Sep 11, 2019
    S-Trader likes this.
  2. dozu888

dozu888

people finally realize that trading is not about 'having discipline', and managing risk' and neither about 'losing a little when you lose but win big when you win' lol.... these phrases are nice for bumper stickers until you put them thru a back tester lol.

if it were only this easy - back test thru some data, find a winning system, be very disciplined, use real money and make a bunch.... financial freedom!

lol.

#12     Sep 11, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. speedo

speedo

There ya have it folks, bozo888's secret to success, Don't be disciplined, don't manage risk, lose big when you can lose small and vice versa. Be a mindless troll like bozo and start picking out your Lambo color.

#13     Sep 11, 2019
  4. monet

monet

Running a backtest just isn't the same as manual trading.

Manually trade and become profitable at that before attempting to run backtests based on simplistic entry criteria and simplistic trade management rules.

I say this is a professional software developer.

#14     Sep 11, 2019
    SimpleMeLike, Axon, S-Trader and 4 others like this.
  5. speedo

speedo

Yep, forward testing is real but I would advise a beginner to test strategies on a good simulation platform as you WILL lose money early on. It's up to the beginner whether that loss is real or monopoly money. Trading sim is not the same as using real money but if you can't make "money" in sim, you sure as hell won't by going live.

#15     Sep 11, 2019
    monet likes this.
  6. bone

bone

Absolutely. I've been PM'd and emailed by dozens of ET Members confused (and hurt, unfortunately) when they've determined that their carefully back tested strategies lost money - and in the case of arbitrage, got them consistently picked off.

I've come to realize that back testing is useful as a screening method only.

#16     Sep 11, 2019
  7. Specterx

Specterx

All kinds of stuff happens on intraday timeframes which doesn't apply on dailies. News, econ reports, or shock earnings can send the price up or down an entire day's average range in seconds. Volume and activity clusters around the open and the close, hence all times of day are not created equal.

Everybody in the world would love to slam 200 ES cars in and out multiple times a day, day after day, with a fat edge, making millions a year with minimal volatility, practically zero liquidity risk, no overnight or event risk, minimal capital requirements, no need to stay idle for days / weeks waiting for setups, etc. Let alone to find and exploit such an edge 100% mechanically after just a few days or weeks of work, using simple retail datafeeds, backtesting tools and trading platforms. It's just naïve and foolish to think that anything like this is available in today's markets.

#17     Sep 11, 2019
  8. bone

bone

Truth bomb. And it’s self evident if you spend a day staring at a quality real time DOM trade window in a live market. The automated injection of orders creates so much noise in the micro architecture of the markets

#18     Sep 11, 2019
    S-Trader, comagnum and Overnight like this.
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

What's going on since 2010 when I first heard the words scalping & 5min charts in the same sentence.

Do people really think algorithms or real scalpers are doing such via 5min charts ?

Every retail scalper I've met in person and watch what they do...they're using DOM, market depth data, tick charts (less than 1min) to scalp. In contrast, the professional trading firms that are scalping...they're using automated trading systems (algorithms) or DOM analysis....making trades in micro seconds...dozens and dozens of trades in micro seconds.

5min charts ? :D :rolleyes: :p

wrbtrader

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    #19     Sep 11, 2019
  10. speedo

speedo

The issue may be the posters understanding of the word scalp. To most traders, it refers to clipping one to a small handful of ticks on a futures or cents on a stock. Trying to do that on a five minute chart would be like trying to saw wood with a hammer.

#20     Sep 11, 2019
    murray t turtle and wrbtrader like this.