Notebook vs Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leveraged, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Just wondering what people think is better for trading. I plan on getting a Matroc dualheadtogo with it also. So wondering if the laptop can handle running 2 or 3 monitors

Or should I just go for a desktop. I won't travel that much, but like the idea that all my trading stuff is on a laptop and is portable. Also when people come over I rather have them browse the web on my desktop which is not used for trading.

The notebook I plan to get is

Thinkpad W500
    Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8400 (2.26GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2)1
    Genuine Windows Vista Business12
    15.4 WSXGA+ TFT
    ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 with 512MB VRAM
    3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 (2 DIMM)8
    100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm4
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Ultrabay Slim5
    Intel WiFi Link 530010
    Integrated WWAN upgradable65
    6 cell Li-Ion Battery70

2. Odgnut

Odgnut

I trade at two different locations...one with a desktop running 4 monitors and one with a Laptop (Thinkpad T60) also running 4 monitors. They both perform equally for their purposes even though the Desktop is much faster. If you're using your computer mainly for trading...I don't think it matters much.

3. Yes, I've noticed that. trading doesn't require a top of the line, cutting edge system. Being a stable and reliable system is more important.

And I'm guessing the Thinkpad W500 is definately sufficient

4. I think it is good to have both. Sometimes I don't want to be stuck in one place trading

5. How does a laptop drive 4 monitors? Oh... is it using the USB type of add-on gadget?

I have both laptops and desktops. Laptop is okay. I just wish the screen can be bigger (I have a 17-in). I always attach an external mon to it. I can trade from any hotel room that gives me wifi or landline Internet access. It is convenient when I am on vacation. :D

6. EvilC0P

EvilC0P

7. That Matrox solution is nice for adding 2 or 3 small monitors to a laptop, but it won't support multiple large monitors (e.g., 2 or more 30" displays). The Matrox beastie is limited to the total number of pixels supported by the laptop's graphics card.

If you want to support multiple large monitors or monitors with different resolutions, you will want a desktop.