Notebook for thinkorswim. GPU / CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Data09, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Data09

Data09

Hello

I plan to buy a notebook. I use 1 external monitor. Actually only 2 felxible grids are running. Since I trade only one product, I let display chart with several timeframes. 7-8750u CPU should be enough. Right? I'm not sure about the GPU. For instance, a nVidia MX110 is ok? I see everywhere those GTX1050 gaming GPUs. Do I need that additional performance?

I asked TOS, but all they say, a dedicated GPU is fine.

Thank you.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I7 is overkill. I5 Quad core with enough RAM is fine, I would want 12GB or more.

apdxyk and Data09 like this.
  3. Data09

Data09

Thank you Robert. What do you think about the GPU? There is a offer from Asus. It looks very decent. The GPU is a MX110. That might be weak part of it.

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I would say that any internal card that moves Video calculation away from the CPU is better than using the CPU.

5. comagnum

comagnum

You don't need a video card for trading platforms unless you need more than 2 or 3 monitors. Modern GPUs can easily handle the small work load of trading platforms, in fact you could stream HD movies at the same time & you shouldn't have any problems.

External video cards are needed for gamers, CAD, & video editing.

https://uk.pcmag.com/graphic-cards/90606/the-best-graphics-cards

zdreg and QuasWexExort like this.
  6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I agree unless you are using other programs that require video resources.

comagnum likes this.
  7. Cuddles

Cuddles

I'd try to get away w/a dual monitor capable laptop. You'll outgrow the laptop screen even if 17"

8. IamaMars

IamaMars

I would buy something like AMD Ryzen 3000 when they will come out with something like 32GB of ram to be very very sure about everything you did here for many people. I do not understand the logic behind that 1050 NVIDIA, but they are for gaming.

9. Data09

Data09

I can't speak for other platforms. But TOS is definitely benefiting from the nVidia 1050 card. TOS Support even suggests to add a line in the config file which forces TOS to use the dedicated graphic card.

I tested my setup running only on CPU and CPU / nVidia GPU. The latter runs a lot more smooth particular with many studies and elevated volatility. Temperature is lower. So, I'm happy with the Asus notebook, even I don't play games.

@Robert Morse got it right.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019