Notebook for thinkorswim. GPU / CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Data09, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Data09

Data09

Hello

I plan to buy a notebook. I use 1 external monitor. Actually only 2 felxible grids are running. Since I trade only one product, I let display chart with several timeframes. 7-8750u CPU should be enough. Right? I'm not sure about the GPU. For instance, a nVidia MX110 is ok? I see everywhere those GTX1050 gaming GPUs. Do I need that additional performance?

I asked TOS, but all they say, a dedicated GPU is fine.

Thank you.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I7 is overkill. I5 Quad core with enough RAM is fine, I would want 12GB or more.

apdxyk and Data09 like this.
  3. Data09

Data09

Thank you Robert. What do you think about the GPU? There is a offer from Asus. It looks very decent. The GPU is a MX110. That might be weak part of it.

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I would say that any internal card that moves Video calculation away from the CPU is better than using the CPU.

5. comagnum

comagnum

You don't need a video card for trading platforms unless you need more than 2 or 3 monitors. Modern GPUs can easily handle the small work load of trading platforms, in fact you could stream HD movies at the same time & you shouldn't have any problems.

External video cards are needed for gamers, CAD, & video editing.

https://uk.pcmag.com/graphic-cards/90606/the-best-graphics-cards

zdreg and QuasWexExort like this.
  6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I agree unless you are using other programs that require video resources.

comagnum likes this.
  7. Here4money

Here4money

I'd try to get away w/a dual monitor capable laptop. You'll outgrow the laptop screen even if 17"