Notebook Computers for Trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wavetrader, Dec 7, 2003.

1. #21     Dec 7, 2003
  2. I think the HP zd7000 series widescreen notebooks are probably the best thing around for trading. After looking at every option on the market, I'm about to buy one myself.

Runningbear

#22     Dec 7, 2003
  3. Here is how I reduced my heating problem. I cut out a piece of half inch plywood the size of my laptop and then screwed 4 wood screws in at the corners. My computer rides on the heads of these screws and that lets air circulate beneath it. This keeps it much cooler.

#23     Dec 8, 2003
  4. #24     Dec 8, 2003
  5. bakalao2k

bakalao2k

Video res is important. Buy one with a SXGA video card.

#25     Dec 19, 2003
  6. dchang0

dchang0

I'd recommend the Centrino models over the Pentium 4-Ms. Centrino-branded laptops must have the Pentium M (not 4-M) processor inside, and the M outperforms the non-hyper-threaded 4-M. I think it was PC Magazine that benchmarked the 1GHz Pentium M as being the same in performance as a 1.6GHz Pentium 4-M.

Of course, if you were to buy the 3.2GHz Pentium 4-M, it'll outperform the 1.6GHz Pentium M that's currently out, but the battery life on the M will be way better than the 4-M.

I've ordered an IBM Thinkpad X31 to replace my Sony R505-DL for trading. (Both have tiny 12.1" screens--lightweight portability is a must because I move around the office a lot) The 1.6GHz Pentium M processor in the X31 ROCKS and is more than enough to run Wealth-Lab Developer 3 (which is slow no matter what you run it on), IB's TWS, Finantic's IBData and Amibroker.

#26     Dec 19, 2003
  7. dchang0

how much and what speed ram are you running in your current set up?

Runningbear

#27     Dec 19, 2003
  8. MRWSM

MRWSM

Does Windows XP have a limit of how long it can stay on without getting over loaded? I just shut mine down. Never had any problems. In fact I heard on Tech TV that if a computer survives initial burn in it will probably last forever. So heating up and cooling off shouldn't be a problem.

#28     Dec 20, 2003
  9. Key phrase. I have one system that runs the XP product and it has been up almost a year now with no trouble. :)

#29     Dec 20, 2003
  10. IndexTrader,

These cards/adapters enable BOTH screens to work. Not many Laptops have XP pro and dual output dvi. Actually, could you give just one example of a new modern computer......

Michael B.

#30     Dec 20, 2003