Notebook Computers for Trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wavetrader, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Margi to go .....looks interesting. It supports up to 1200x1600 res. Traveller does not.

Also I think you can get a margi that plugs into other ports if you do not have a PCMCIA....Every Notebook has a VGA port.

The nice thing with these cards is that both monitors will work. If you just plug an external monitor in without the card you will just get one screen.

Michael B.

#11     Dec 7, 2003
  2. Now that I have done this research for you....will you post which card has the best price?

Michael B.

P.S. for your external monitor check out the Samsung 191t LCD.

Michael B.

#12     Dec 7, 2003
  3. mark1

mark1 Guest

I trade with 2 laptops
    1 is a sony vaio, 1ghz athlon 4 ,256 mb ram
    2 is an acer ,2.5 ghz P4, 256 mb ram

Both have dual monitor function, I bought a couple of 17 lcd monitors. So i can count on a total of 4 monitors for charts etc.

When i need to travel , all my trading hardware fits in a very little bag.
    Regarding the problem of overheating(never had though) i simply put my laps on stanby at night, so no need to restart them and 0 heat all night long.

Experienced 2 power outage while trading and blessed my batteries to be there.

The spread between desktop and laptop prices has narrowed a lot lately.

Not to mention how cool is reading and writing this in my bed :D

#13     Dec 7, 2003
  4. Banjo

Banjo

If you ship ahead or put the laptop etc. into baggage instead of carry on you can go to any musical instrument supply and they will have a source for airline approved cases. They can make custom cases for your equipt, works great, been using them for years.

#14     Dec 7, 2003
  5. Also need a "laptop"

I run Qcharts...TWS...and am trying Buttonwood...but the jury is still out on the latter......do you guys still recommend the same configs? I'm leaning towards the HP 17" though it is a bit of a monster.

Now mainly using a desktop 2.8 with 512 ram....and it seems slow....that is why I am learly of anything less. Will a gig of ram make things run smoother?

Any thoughts? Yes I am somewhat computer retarded!

thanks

#15     Dec 7, 2003
  6. First, about the heating issue:

http://www.cybercoolerinc.com/nk-360.html

I have one for each of my machines and they work great. I have been using laptops under some pretty harsh conditions for the last four years. Including running the laptop while in a backpack while walking for the duration of the battery charge life (a few hours at a time). That machine (HP Omnibook 900B) is still giving great service, trading or otherwise.

Secondly, yes the initial power surge of starting is the hardest on the machine. But both the machine and its guts can still deliver many years of use in either discipline. For me, I just leave them live. :)

#16     Dec 7, 2003
  7. funky

funky

the margi card has a 2mb version which is really cheap.. works great! you don't need high resolution for trading :)

#17     Dec 7, 2003
  8. I have mine set for traveling. It works great and for me the extra weight is not an issue. I just DVD'd from Chicago to Dallas and I'll be return viewing on Tuesday. The extra screen size afforded my girlfriend and I great viewing for the trip. It also is a great trading/working enhancement. :)

#18     Dec 7, 2003
  9. #19     Dec 7, 2003
  10. That cybercooler is cool...pun intended.

Michael B.

#20     Dec 7, 2003