Note to self: filming my own room could result in hate crime charges.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pcp198, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Reminds me of Animal Farm , some animals are more equal than others.

#41     Mar 18, 2012
  2. ammo

ammo

there are probably plenty of gays who would not have committed suicide,maybe it's a crime against the mentally ill,maybe ravi is a psychpath and the judge used the opportunity to lock him up,maybe the deceased parents hired a super law firm and they ran rampant over the trial,judge and jury,if the roommate was straight and with a woman, the woman would have been ridiculed around campus as the girl who..ravis roomate..lot of maybes ...this thread with few facts,has revealed prejudices that come out at the mention of a word..those displaying them are fools and have been had

#42     Mar 22, 2012
  3. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

Hate crime? Wtf. Did he physically harm the gay guy? This is just ridiculous. This country is full of fucking pansies.

#43     Mar 22, 2012
  4. achilles28

achilles28

The law has been rewritten to pervert the system and make everyone a criminal. 10 years for humiliating some guy? Are you kidding me? Child molesters and rapists get less time than that. This is a complete joke.

#44     Mar 22, 2012
  5. TGregg

TGregg

rimshot

#45     Mar 22, 2012
  6. Any day now futurecurrents is gonna fling himself off a bridge and I'll be charged with a hate crime: kinda makes feel good inside to do a good deed for humanity.:D

#46     Mar 22, 2012
  7. piezoe

piezoe

Don't get carried away. It is not a complete joke. Not yet anyway. He has not been sentenced yet. Probably a very short time in jail and then public service. Or just the latter, I would guess. Personally I don't think the hate crime law is good law because it is too nebulous and depends on determination of what was in the mind of the perpetrator. It would often be very difficult to do that in the case of a "hate crime". If it is a crime, then we already have sufficient laws. Your right to privacy should not be violated, and this was a serious invasion of privacy. It is not insignificant. Someone died because his right to privacy was violated.

We have too many laws and too many things that are crimes that should not be. But invasion of privacy is a serious crime and should be punished. You give up your right to privacy if you are a public persona. The target of this crime was not a public persona.

It is clear that the consequences of this crime were unintentional and not premeditated, even though the actions that led to this unfortunate death were intentional. The judge will take that into account in sentencing.

The best thing that can come from this is recognition that serious consequences can result from invading someone's privacy. Don't do it.

#47     Mar 22, 2012
  8. Max E.

Max E.

You guys who are saying that a person should be able to record video where ever they want to in their own room should really think about this one.

Do you think that people should be allowed to film anyone who uses the bathroom in their house? Whats the difference? Would you not have a problem with it, if some pervert set up a video camera to record people inside of his bathroom, and then he started distributing the videos over the internet?

What if a person set up a hidden video camera recording the guest room of his house, and he then invited someone else to stay at his house, do you think that just because someone stayed at his house, that person should be subject to having videos of themselves naked posted all over the internet?

It is absurd to think that a person should be able to record all areas of their house, and then, post the videos that they create of unsuspecting victims, all over the internet..

If you actually believe in that, then why shouldnt a person who rents out their basement suite be allowed to put hidden cameras everywhere, and spy on the young girl who is renting their basement suite?

Why stop there, lets put hidden cameras in every single hotel room as well, cause afterall the hotel has a right to monitor what is going on inside of their rooms.... Do you see where this is going?

#48     Mar 23, 2012
  9. achilles28

achilles28

Sure, that's all well and good. But 10 years? Com 'on. That's totally overboard.

#49     Mar 23, 2012
  10. It was just an unfortunate inmature move by a young kid that resulted in another kid killing himself.

The part that the OP left out was that the room is shared by both. The kid did not have exclusive rights to start filming without the other guy's permission.

Besides, who wants to watch a bunch of gay guys go at it? The only people that want to watch that are perhaps gay themselves.

The kid should go to prison but I think 10 years is a little too long. Some posters here must be 17 year olds themselves.

#50     Mar 23, 2012