Note to self: filming my own room could result in hate crime charges.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pcp198, Mar 17, 2012.

1. A good, sane, analysis. I think the dead kid was responsible for his own death, obviously, and the simple act of spying on any sexual activity and then distributing it is not a 10 year sentence IMO. A very disturbing event, for all involved. Very sad. And, I too, wish others would get past the homophobia, heck, nothing new there. It is what it is, nothing others can do about it.

c

#31     Mar 18, 2012
  2. If everyone would just get past homophobia.

The kids mother rejected him when he told her he was gay.she must be a homophobe, huh? She should be charged with a hate crime. Hating her son because he is gay.I suppose only strangers can be homophobes.

Anyone waving a tolerance flag at moms house?
    ---------

I wonder where the 30 sexual partner is these days.Anyone think it;s appropiate for a 30 yo man with an 18 yo boy.I'd like some background on the 30 yo guy.

#32     Mar 18, 2012
  3. The Mother:
    In later interviews, Clementi's mother explained that she had been deeply disappointed to realize that he would not marry a woman and have children, as well as by his not having told her earlier that he was gay, and that she had been taken aback by his expressions of sadness over his perception that he had difficulty making friends and over his uncertainty about religion, all of which caused her to be quiet, but that she had been very close to him over the following days.

The parents: What the Clementis do hope for is a change in a culture that breeds intolerance.

Joseph Clementi remarked, "When I was growing up they called you a name -- now the world hears about it, that's the power of the internet."

The Clementis recently started a foundation in honor of their son, hoping to decrease the suicide rate among gay and lesbian teens. Studies show teens who are homosexual are seven times more likely to consider suicide.

snip

Jane Clementi added, "He would love to see something good come out of the end."

c

#33     Mar 18, 2012
  4. This isn't a story about homosexuality, it's about someone's catastrophic reaction to an invasion of privacy.

The roommate could just as well have been caught masturbating and the social stigma could have ended with the same results.

Cooler heads would have resulted in him just changing schools.

Ravi clearly deserves punisment but I think 10yrs is pretty silly , I mean c'mon when brass throws himself off a bridge from the continual embarrassment he feels from engaging me are you gonna try to put me in jail too?

#34     Mar 18, 2012
  5. SREC

SREC

This is a witch hunt.

As an alumni of Rutgers, this is plain funny. It's very easy to be gay at Rutgers, just go to Cook campus (or Douglas if you are lesbian). The school has a pretty strong and active gay & lesbian community, so what exactly would be so horrifying for this kid where he would kill himself over the stream. And I am talking about 10 years ago, so nowadays it must be so much more out in the open.

I think he was in the closet and in denial or lying in delusion about his orientation so his roommates and some of the dormmates wanted to uncover it. Far from a hate crime, more like they just wanted to expose him.

This is an invasion of privacy issue, maybe defamation of character, but beyond that, it becomes an example of how much of a circus show the justice system becomes at times.

#35     Mar 18, 2012
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I don't think that Ravi is responsible for the suicide. Someone inclined in that direction could be set off by any number of things rather unpredictably.

The issue with Ravi is as you say, the invasion of privacy and the vicious "bullying" attempt to propagate the video and trying to setup "viewing parties". This trial was about bullying. Anybody who has attended public school knows this is a problem and at university it can be particularly damaging. Ravi was not charged with or convicted of manslaughter. He was made an example of and perhaps harshly but there is a generalized problem with bullying in our society. You got a problem with a college roomate? Go to housing adminstration and get moved. It happens all the time and Ravi could have simply moved to another room/apartment. Instead he set up a camera, repeatedly and then published the video as widely as he could. Then he emailed people to come over for a "viewing party". His conviction will deter that kind of behavior quite effectively.

And he wasn't given 10 years. He was convicted and will face a sentencing hearing. I think he'll get perhaps 2 years in minimum security and maybe 5 years probation afterwards.

#36     Mar 18, 2012
  7. Same page again, and I appreciate your understanding of the bullying that goes on, very disturbing for the younger people. I know, a broken record again, but civility would certainly put a stop to much of this horrible nonsense.

c

#37     Mar 18, 2012
  8. pcp198

pcp198

Therefore, not just college dorms, but hidden babysitter cameras, the elderly with live in help are all guilty of invasion of privacy? Even with that assumption, invasion of privacy and hate crimes are completely different.
    On a personal note I feel the verdict in this case is crying wolf and does a disservice to people like myself who in fact were victims of a targeted hate crime. A few years back, my car, along with others in the neighborhood were tagged with choice words towards people of my heritage. Fun times driving around with paper towels taped to the side until the spaypaint could be removed. See the difference? Additionally, hate crime laws in there current state are flawed.. When you stiffen penalties against one group, it leaves the rest of society wondering why crimes against them are of lesser value.
    That would be nice.

#38     Mar 18, 2012
  9. Rob227

Rob227

Different circumstances amigo, the details are important. Protecting the helpless and spying on some guy's private life so you can expose and humiliate them are distinctly different.

Did the people that vandalized your car get caught? Maybe they should have faced hate crime laws as well.

#39     Mar 18, 2012
  10. Mav88

Mav88

or maybe it's just a crime. This hate crime stuff is a bunch of leftist shit, it's never even brought up when blacks attack whites solely because of race.

#40     Mar 18, 2012