Note to self: filming my own room could result in hate crime charges.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pcp198, Mar 17, 2012.

1. pcp198

pcp198

Ravi had a right to know what was hapening in his room while he was away, so I wouldn't call it unjust. The responsible thing would've been to bring the video to the attention of university administrators, instead he chose to share it with his friends.

#21     Mar 17, 2012
  2. piezoe

piezoe

I don't know much about this case, but it is my understanding that he did far more than "film" what was going on in his own room. If that's all there was to it than there is no problem except between him and his roommate, who in that case would likely not now be deceased now.

Didn't the case have more to do with what the defendant did with the video he made?

#22     Mar 17, 2012
  3. Hate crime is an imaginary crime, prosecuted by the state for the benefit of those classes deemed more equal than others.

#23     Mar 17, 2012
  4. Rob227

Rob227

Does he really have a right to secretly know what was happening in his shared room at all times? Perhaps he could have recorded his bed or area but the whole shared area?

Does your roomate in your shared room have a right to secretly record video of you jerking off? Then bring that video to the attention of university administrators? LOL Why would university administrators need to know anyway?

Again I don't know if you'd like to be on the other side of this kind of thing. As well if it were known to everyone sharing the room that it was going to be video recorded I think it's safe to say that events would have turned out differently.

pcp198 you seem to be unable to grasp the big picture here so I think I'm going to move on at this point.

#24     Mar 17, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

+1

#25     Mar 17, 2012
  6. The lesson is bullying based on different social values will not be tolerated.

#26     Mar 18, 2012
  7. Publicus

Publicus

First impression is sympathy for the kid who threw himself off the bridge. That darkness is deeper than most of us could imagine.

Also sympathy for this Ravi kid. He was 19 when this happened. I remember my college dorm room. So small, me and the other guy could have probably reached and touched each other from any 2 points in the room. No one gets into this, but if you're a strictly hetero, girl crazy, 19 year old, this is freaking you out, and you want everyone to know that you are not associated with this. So, the elements of a Greek tragedy are in place.

Finally, do you know how easy, how downright desirable, is the position of distancing yourself from Ravi? You would be shouted down in any forum in this country. So, he is abandoned by everyone. No one that wants to run for office, or conduct a business, will dare stand by him. This abandonment is done for their own selfish interests.

#27     Mar 18, 2012
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

+ 2

#28     Mar 18, 2012
  9. Ravi should sue the school for millions of dollars for putting him in a room with a homosexual. They don't allow male & female to share rooms, so they shouldn't let homosexuals share rooms with straight people. Its a double standard. The school is at fault if we are going to place the blame game.

Hopefully Ravi will get no time in jail since he did nothing wrong. If the homosexual didn't kill himself, we know for sure Ravi would get no time in jail so really what this is is homosexual activists wanting Ravi to pay for the homosexual killing himself.

#29     Mar 18, 2012
  10. Rob227

Rob227

I somehow doubt they include sexual preference in school application forms.

Do they let male's visit female rooms or the other way around? Because it was a visitor that the dead roomate was filmed with.

I think you guys are too caught up on the homosexual aspect of the case and less to do with the fact that the guy's privacy was violated and he was maliciously exposed. Even if Ravi had filmed his roomate in some encouter with a female from school it would be wrong to secretly film it and then distribute that. I don't know why peil you would suggest that nothing wrong was done when he's being charged with breaking various laws and the admition to what he has done is not even in question. Take off the homophobic blinders and look at the details of why this guy is facing jail time.

Ravi's malicious actions unfortunately turned into something far worse than he likely expected. It seems like a mean spirited prank on his part contributed to his roomate's death and now he will have to face the consequences of that. I doubt Ravi meant physical harm to come to his roomate and he was careless in not considering the consequences of his actions but in my view ten years is far too long a sentence for what he has done.

#30     Mar 18, 2012