Notable Quotes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Sep 8, 2012.

1. nitro

nitro

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron."
    - Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice... Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."
    -- Albert Einstein, 1930

2. DT-waw

DT-waw

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry,
    their passions... a quotation."
    -Oscar Wilde.

For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.

Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had 48.
    -Terminator :D

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    -Bruce Lee

“He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” – Muhammad Ali

Pain is temporary. Glory is eternal.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

3. What if the gave a war and nobody came?
    Bertolt Brecht

You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you.
    Trotsky

My mother always said, " You gotta start young in you're going to stick it out".
    Bozo the Clown

4. hughb

hughb

In 2003 Iraqis took up arms against the coalition of forces that invaded their country. How would Eisenhower and Einstein have them respond?

5. "That" coming from a guy whose career and reputation were "solidified" because of war. :( :mad:

6. I always though Eisenhower was an Admiral.

I'm shit at general knowledge.....:cool:

7. Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I add:

There are those that want to be controlled and there are those that do not.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xwejQBIyjow?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. "We have met the enemy and he is us."

-Pogo

9. Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.

Bertrand Russell Popular Quotes

10. 'I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians'.

-- Charles De Gaulle

#10     Sep 21, 2012