Not yet a failed state, Malaysia is decaying rapidly

Discussion in 'Economics' started by themickey, Sep 13, 2021.

1. canada812

canada812

The GDP has been growing at close to 5% annually, not bad at all.

#11     Sep 13, 2021
  2. themickey

themickey

That gave me an idea to compare over previous 5 years.
    wOax9grVkZRMAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png
    $KLSE Malaysia black bottom line 4th line
    $VTI Total world stock index ETF green top line
    $EEM Emerging markets ETF blue line 2nd line
    $DOWA Asian Dow brown line 3rd line

#12     Sep 13, 2021
  3. themickey

themickey

Here Malaysia black line compares to SPX green line and ASX All Ords blue line.
    gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png

#13     Sep 13, 2021
  4. nitrene

nitrene

What a miserable performance -- only up 5% from before the Covid collapse. Its even below Pfizer Monday (11/9/2020), I believe.

Just like Lebanon it has systemic corruption from the top down. The Leisure class believes they are living in Singapore yet their country hasn't progressed much.

Reminds me of the Leisure class in India in the 1970s & early 1980s. Corruption at every governmental level yet the Oligarchs thought they were living in London. I remember when I went back to India in 1980 my cousin was caught doing 120 kmph in a 40 kmph zone and he just paid the cop a $100 rupee note and we were off.

#14     Sep 14, 2021
  5. Kind of choppy. Might be a short if the shares don't cost too much, but not as good as EWT (Taiwan) IMHO.

#15     Sep 16, 2021
  6. VicBee

VicBee

I'm sorry to say, Malaysia is like so many banana republics around the world. I call them the 200 families countries, because they hoard the high level administrative posts (government, ambassadorships, representatives at the UN, etc.) and their businesses control the economy and makes them very wealthy while the rest of the population is the labor pool needed to pretend to have a working economy. Of course, in some countries it's far less than 200 families...
    On a side note, this is why I'm so adamantly opposed to fracturing nations. I believe it's always about 200 families seceding for control, wrapped in liberation bs.
    If you take an org chart of the non elected high level government officials and the C and VP level of the top 50 companies in any of these countries, you will find they are all related. This is made even more obvious in island countries.
    The story of SouthEast Asia is interesting because so intricately molded by colonial powers, world wars, Chinese exodus and their economic impact on local economies, racism and violence, and of course, the 200 families.

#16     Sep 16, 2021
    nitrene likes this.
  7. nitrene

nitrene

So true. In Africa its probably like the top 50 families or less. I know when the British left India, the wealthy families essentially were the local government.

Malaysia seems like every other commodity export economy that has no incentive to create an actual industry similar to Venezuela, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Russia, etc. You can only live so long exporting natural resources.

#17     Sep 19, 2021
    xandman likes this.
  8. xandman

xandman

The economies you mention are both highly dependent on the semiconductor cycle and supply chain issues. It would be great to hear your exposition on this. I do not have any domain knowledge on those two critical issues.

You may reply in private chat, if it is not terribly inconvenient. Much appreciated.

That said, I would still buy the August lows for EWM. But, I worry about Evergrande contagion until the RE industry's debt payment hump is over next Spring.

#18     Sep 19, 2021
  9. xandman

xandman

This is supported by respected research (that I can't remember at the moment). Perhaps, it is part of the collective common sense by now.

#19     Sep 19, 2021
  10. VicBee

VicBee

Tell that to Australia... perfectly fits my definition except that due to its small population, we aren't even talking about 200 families.

#20     Sep 19, 2021