Not many people are using Wealth-Lab?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mizhael, Feb 8, 2009.

1. pneuma

pneuma

P2P - file sharing software used mainly to distribute pirate movies, music and computer games - utorrent, vuze etc.

Fidelity provides Wealth Lab Pro, have you thought of paying for Wealth Lab Developer (the international version)?

pneuma

#11     Feb 8, 2009
  2. Bob111

Bob111

there is plenty of options..as far as i remember-WL use to have his own download manager,which can be use to download historical data from yahoo.
    WL works fine with QP2
    http://quotes-plus.com/joomla/index.php

WL can read data,stored in text files, in common data formats. like date,time,open,high,low,close

#12     Feb 8, 2009
  3. I can get the WL Developer version (for international users). But if I have to import data into it myself, then it defeats the purpose of using WL. TS allows me to directly use both their historical data and real time data without any importing, and third party data-vendor stuff, hassle free. At least that's what I read from their webpage.

If the above facts are true, then maybe I will go with TS. Any thoughts?

#13     Feb 8, 2009
  4. Wealth-Lab Developer (any version) operates as a stand alone piece of software - not shackled to one particular data source. Wealth-Lab Pro (tied to Fidelity) does not permit the user to use different data sources. Whichever software (Developer or Pro) one chooses, the trader still has to 'import' the data into Wealth-Lab by clicking the 'Update Data Source' button.

The Wealth-Lab.com web site has a members forum. Within one of the sub-forums, you should be able to locate step by step instructions for using Wealth-Lab Developer and a free data source.

In addition, with the addition of some creative searching techniques, one should be able to locate a free version of Wealth-Lab Developer along the internet's 'back alleys'.

Edit: You might want to check out these guys as well. I switched to their software from Wealth-Lab Developer.

- Spydertrader

#14     Feb 8, 2009
  5. Bob111

Bob111

as far as i remember you cannot use TS, if you want to test something on basket of stocks for example. you can't run something like MA crossover on all NYSE stocks from 2000 till 2009

#15     Feb 8, 2009
  6. Yep, that limitation is well-known. So I have to run it on single stock one by one.

So for a pairs trade test, I have to run twice for the two stocks separately.

Am I right?

#16     Feb 8, 2009
  7. Bob111

Bob111

wrong...
    can you just google your questions,before you ask them here?
    i just put "tradestation pairs trading"
    first link-
    http://daytradepairs.com/default.aspx

#17     Feb 8, 2009
  8. Probably because Fidelity has effectively shut it off the American market by making it unavailable without a Fidelity account.

#18     Feb 8, 2009
  9. kxvid

kxvid

I like wealth lab, I have fond memories of that quirky piece of software. It didn't run very well but it certainly got the job done backtesting. The new version is much smoother, but uses different code which I couldn't be bothered to learn.

#19     Feb 10, 2009
  10. Spydertrader, can I ask why you switched to Genesis? Can it do everything Wealth-Lab does in terms of backtesting, order generation, etc?

I am a big Wealth-Lab fan and a current Fidelity active trader -- as a matter of fact, one of the main reasons I am still with Fidelity is because I have so much invested in my Wealth-Lab scripts.

Thanks.

tmantrader

#20     Feb 11, 2009