Not impressed......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilduckling, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Once again, what does this have to do with the original posters issue? It's already been established that his current setup is adequate for his needs. What you believe or would do is totally irrelevant.

st

#31     Feb 13, 2006
  2. I really don't know how to discuss this with you. I am trying to have an open, honest discussion that could be useful to people, but you just want to attack me.

Is there a way I could write that would be less offensive to you and you could discuss my points with non-aggressive comments?

- The New Guy

#32     Feb 13, 2006
  3. I was trying to contribute to a discussion on video cards/system performance. I believe that is what message boards and ET is all about, but unfortunately they appear to be about ego problems and personal attacks. I am not going to attack you personally, I am not going to be rude and I will keep persisting in trying to make this a useful thread for people. Sorry if I have offended you in some way.

Thanks,

- The New Guy

#33     Feb 13, 2006
  4. Nope. I'm sure they know they know what they are doing and are very good at it. I guess what I wrote was unclear. What I meant to say was that I don't think their methods are aimed at the issues I believe traders face. I'm sorry that writing about my experiences makes you think that I am trying to convey how smart and experienced I am, with no other value. I suppose when I feel attacked without cause I tend to want to defend myself.

In my experience, there are some things you have to take on faith, and some things that you have to test for yourself. I have not been around the world, but I believe it is not flat. I have read technical reports about products that I believe to be incorrect, or at the very least, my experiences differ. When I come to a situation where I am not sure what to believe, I prefer to test the solution myself.

Thank you for your encouraging comments. I assure you, this work place is a very tough environment to work in, and there have been many hard times. I do what I can and I try to share information I have learned with others in this industry, with the hopes that maybe someday, somewhere it will make someone's job easier.

Thank you for the amusing story. I'm not sure how it applies, however, but thanks for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

Thanks,

- The New Guy

#34     Feb 13, 2006
  5. Here's a new video card for anyone that wants a lot of video RAM:

ATI Introduces FireGL™ V7350, the Workstation Industry's First One Gigabyte Graphics Accelerator

http://ir.ati.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105421&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=833362&highlight=

#35     Mar 22, 2006
  6. cmaxb

cmaxb

Video card slowness would manifest as a visible delay in moving windows around onscreen. E.g. you drag a window, or maximize a minimized window. If there is a delay with the CPU not being taxed, then you could use a video card upgrade. But honestly I only see this when the video ram is less than the bit depth * resolution. E.g. 1600x1200x32bit = minimum 8 MB required.

#36     Mar 22, 2006
  7. I agree and stated the same figure (8MB) was just fine for this application earlier in this thread.

But since there were some who felt that 128MB video memory was not enough (!) for a trading setup and use 512MB video cards in their PC's I thought I would provide a new avenue for them to waste their money even more.

#37     Mar 22, 2006

8. LOL!!! Your're bad!!! :D

I'm always amused when watching these clowns at the store. They'll hone in on the shiniest box on the self and then instantly remark "cool" before they even read the specs. Mental masturbation at its finest! :)

st

#38     Mar 22, 2006
  9. Most video card manufacturers are going to populate their higher end (read: faster) cards with more memory. Maybe you don't need the extra memory for financial applications, but the faster GPU will provide increased 2D performance. You can get a nice low-to-mid-range multi-head workstation-class video card with ample memory for such a small amount of money these days that the issue is really irrelevant.

#39     Mar 22, 2006
  10. Even the lowest end video card should have all the cpu horsepower required to graph 2D charts from eSignal. All of the focus these days is on 3D performance, doing 2D graphics takes minimal cpu.

So while I agree with your overall premise (even reasonable low to mid-range cards have gobs of memory these days so memory is a non-issue) when people like the original poster of this thread says they have a problem with slowness and people start jumping in and suggest that his video card memory is the source of the problem then I think it is necessary to stop him from wasting his money upgrading his 128MB video card to a 512MB model because I seriously doubt that was ever the source of the slowness.

#40     Mar 22, 2006