Norton Uninstall problem help

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by kowboy, Feb 11, 2007.

1. kowboy

kowboy

Months after uninstalling Norton Systems works, numerous Symantec folders remained on the computer. I think I have most of those fixed by now.

However, there is a remaining dll which is creating persistent and annoying error messages when some applications are loaded. The message is "an unstable virtual device driver failed"

The referred to dll remaining on windows system32 is "s32EVNT1.dll"

Does anyone know if this can safely be removed by simply deleting it? I don't know how to tell if this is necessary or shared by any other applications.

The dll properties are: Symantec, file version 11.6.7.2

Thanks for any help.

2. Catoosa

Catoosa

I can not answer your question but what you have described just further confirms that I do not want to ever use any software put out by Symantec. I own a 1000 shares of their stock which I know I should dump less I wind up with a "0" some day in the future.

3. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Hi Kowboy,

What you could do is too save that file that's located in the System32 folder to another dummy folder temporarily.

Then try deleting that file from the System32 folder and reboot your computer. Once your back in Windows try opening up your software that gave you the error message. If you don't receive that error message anymore then you've solved your problem.

If you do continue to receive that error message then copy that file from the dummy folder back into the System32 folder.

Another thing you could do, (depending on if you still have the software) is to reinstall Norton System works again and then unistall it too see if this gets rid of your error message.

Hopefully that'll help you out.

4. Catoosa

Catoosa

What version of Windows are you using? I just looked in my system32 folder and did not have this file but I am running windows 2000. You could copy the file to another location first and then try and delete the remaining file in the system32 folder and see if windows will let you delete it. If windows is using the file, windows will post a message that the file is in use and can not be deleted.

5. kowboy

kowboy

Thanks for the help guys.

Moving the dll to a dummy folder seems to have worked. Hopefully will prevent the problems from recurring.

So much for Norton. Hope this is the last issue.

Appreciate you all taking the time to help.