Norton IS Interfering with IB?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Arnie, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Arnie

Arnie

Thanks for the replies. I am running two computers networked on a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4Ghz Router (hardwired...not using wireless funtion). Do I need a software firewall? I'm thinking I should juts remove Norton IS and run a gerneric anti-virus program. I never had any problems on the machine with McAfee. Thanks again.

#11     Nov 9, 2006
  2. I wouldn't bother with a software firewall. The router should have NAT check it, so that hides your real address from hacks. Zone Alarm, when tested, cut my download in half! Don't use it. From 6 meg to 3 meg, and back to 6 meg when Zone Alarm was turned off/removed.

#12     Nov 9, 2006
  3. zdreg

zdreg

off topic. i am looking for a free defragmenter

thx

#13     Nov 9, 2006
  4. It could be a process on background that is using too much CPU % and when you have large / fast data /moves your CPU can't keep up with the streaming as it does regularly.

Obviously deactivate any antivirus/antispamming/ to scan in realtime the TWS folder. Usually there is the 'exclusion' option for single files or folders.

If you use a specific software firewall, instructs the software to open the ports TWS uses or try to deactivate any control over TWS.

Also check with the usual utilities that your specific internet connection (DSL, cable, etc) and your NIC are optimized with the remote IPs you are using.
    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Finally check whether an update with the latest Sun JRE fix the issues (but please check the TWS supports it).

Its' my understanding (I'm not a technican) multi-core CPUs could be helpful with java applications that have multi-threads. Also check the section 'Tune Java' here: http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2006/11/01/scaling-enterprise-java-on-64-bit-multi-core.html
    http://performance.netbeans.org/howto/jvmswitches/index.html

to allocate more RAM to java.
    or google for tune/tuning JVM.

just my 2 cents,
    B.

#14     Nov 9, 2006
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

Norton is for first time buyers of puters. I have not used any of that stuff for a couple years now. Grisoft etc are free and you need only run a virus check on weekends only, if desired. Spyware etc can be solved by doing a clean reinstall every now and then.

i use 3 separate puters and the trading entry, exit machine never sees any other websites anyway.

Clean reinstalls keep machines nice and fast and not clogged up with junk.

Norton has ingenious ways to create more problems than they claim to solve. Throw that CD in the garbage and write it off as a bad buy.

#15     Nov 9, 2006
  6. jebara

jebara Guest

If i were you i would not be using any norton products or mcaffe. They are bloated and slow down the system. Two good programs are Microsoft's Onceare or Trend Micros PCcillin.

They do the job and to not take up valuable resources from your trading programs.

#16     Nov 20, 2006
  7. kowboy

kowboy

Norton continues to give me problems even after it was uninstalled. Tried to reinstall a printer driver yesterday and got an error message indicating an unstable Symantec process.

#17     Nov 20, 2006
  8. Arnie

Arnie

Update:

Well it turns out NIS wasn't the problem. I had to put the 'puter in the shop. We could never fix, so we are going to do a complete check, reload OS, flash BIOS, check memory etc... This is a really strange problem. I am using the AMD machine with McAfee and no problems.

#18     Nov 20, 2006
  9. The best FREE anti-virus is Avast...
    A commercial product widely used in Europe and available in 12 languages...
    But FREE for home use... and updated almost DAILY automatically.

www.avast.com

Norton/Macfee/Symantec view an installation as a LICENSE TO TAKE OVER YOUR COMPUTER...
    They have no respect for you or your property/privacy whatsoever...
    And software problems as a result are VERY COMMON.

Avast understands that the computer belongs YOU...
    And in 3-4 years of use... it's extremely well designed anti-virus...
    Has never produced a conflict on any of my 10+ computers.

It also works really well with the FREE Sygate Personal Firewall.

#19     Nov 26, 2006
  10. AC3

AC3

Indeed ...Symantec products are crap full stop. Try AVG after uninstalling the other and you should be fine.

#20     Nov 26, 2006