Norton is Expiring, Should I Renew

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by oldtime, May 19, 2012.

1. I had some off and on virus problems and started using Symantec Endpoint a year ago made by Norton. My problems stop instantly and have stayed gone. It's a $39 download.

#31     Jun 16, 2012
  2. BSAM

BSAM

The Google browser is the best!

I'm thinking that the pieces of Norton that are left on his machine, won't affect his Avast software, no?

#32     Jun 16, 2012
  3. Not sure. It's in the registry. When I took mine out I was so mad at symantec and didnt want to see pop ups or anything that would slow start up.

#33     Jun 16, 2012
  4. http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428166/the-antivirus-era-is-over/

faggetaboutit

The programs that are the lynchpin of computer security for businesses, governments, and consumers alike operate like the antivirus software on consumer PCs. Threats are detected by comparing the code of software programs and their activity against a database of "signatures" for known malware. Security companies such as F-Secure and McAfee constantly research reports of new malware and update their lists of signatures accordingly. The result is supposed to be an impenetrable wall that keeps the bad guys out.

However, in recent years, high-profile attacks on not just the Iranian government but also the U.S. government have taken place using software that, like Flame, was able to waltz straight past signature-based software. Many technically sophisticated U.S. companies—including Google and the computer security firm RSA—have been targeted in similar ways, albeit with less expensive malware, for their corporate secrets. Smaller companies are also routinely compromised, experts say

#34     Jun 16, 2012
  5. iprph90

iprph90

don't know if someone already mentioned this but with comcast internet norton is free.

#35     Jun 21, 2012
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

I used Norton problem free for years and years - all the while hearing the overwhelming criticism against them.

Then last year decided to try Microsoft Security Essential and regret I did. Free equals you get what you paid for.

#36     Jul 14, 2012
  7. I use Symantec Endpoint Protection ... a Norton product. Problem free. It is great!!!

#37     Jul 14, 2012
  8. i have a friend that works at symantic.. so i get a discount on the virus software it works pretty well for me just for antivirus.. but everything is trash its just how much your paying for it and the degree of trash you getting for your money! haha i get a discounted subscription through my best friend if i didn't i would be alot more of a shopper about it . nice name Fractals are us.. Mandelbrot is a true Maverick

#38     Jul 14, 2012