norton delete software

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by hoodooman, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Thanks for all the information but now I have a much worse problem. My computer will only operate in safe mode.
    Think I will buy a new computer rather than pay 379 bucks to fix this one.

#21     Nov 23, 2009
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

now it's a good time to just reinstall your OS.

#22     Nov 23, 2009
  3. I would try the removal tool provided by Symantec... but don't be surprised if it leaves messy remnants behind.

If the removal tool doesn't clear your problem up, you'll probably have to reinstall the OS from scratch.

It's always better to not install something rather than depend upon a successful removal... especially with something like Norton or AOL.

#23     Nov 23, 2009
  4. I bought one of those usb flash drives to save my files and even though BB said the problem wasn't a virus, I'm afraid to
    that if I reinstall and the use the drive, I'll bring the problem back again. Any thoughts.

Thanks for all the replies and regards.

#24     Nov 23, 2009
  5. If you're just saving your known personal files to flash drive you should be OK. If you're saving "everything" and there's a virus you'll probably get it back.

Doesn't sound like a virus to me, though.. just the normal schmutz of Norton.

One other thing you might try before doing a fresh install is Revo Uninstaller... a free removal utility.

#25     Nov 23, 2009
  6. Also if I reinstall, I suspect that I get the antivirus program back again.

#26     Nov 23, 2009
  7. Do you have one of those "restoration packages" where not only the OS is installed, but many other trial programs?

#27     Nov 23, 2009
  8. Yes I have five separate disks.
    One is the operating system
    Two is the device drivers and diagnostics
    Three is microsoft works
    Four is roxio creator.????
    Five is for reinstalling cyberlink dvd.

#28     Nov 23, 2009
  9. Usually you don't have the option to install only part of it... all or nothing, unfortunately.

#29     Nov 23, 2009
  10. ak15

ak15

I've used the removal tool in the past and it removed the program in its entirety. No remnants whatsoever. You may try reinstalling and then using the removal tool to remove Norton if necessary.

#30     Nov 23, 2009