North Korea's Nuclear Weapons

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SouthAmerica, Sep 19, 2005.

1. I guess NK is justified for having something they can use that may prevent pre emptive strike by another nation.

#51     Jun 23, 2006
  2. g222

g222

Yeah ... but they're confusing preventing with inviting.

#52     Jun 23, 2006
  3. Exactly!!

#53     Jun 23, 2006
  4. .

tradermaji: However, US had opened the Pandora's box as it has developed and tested countless WMDs and even used WMD on a country in the name of saving US lives.

I think that gives other countries to develop weapons which they can say can be used to save their citizens' lives.

June 23, 2006

SouthAmerica: It is OK for the US to do all kinds of testing with all kinds of weapons including – in the case of Nagasaki “that test killed” 115,000 people in Japan.

But is not OK for other countries to improve their defense systems and test it to see if their long-range missile system works.

Today, the US build it into a major crisis even though it is a simple test that the entire world knows that - it is just a test.

Maybe if I were in charge I would do the same thing to take the spotlight from the real problem – the nasty sectarian civil war that is getting completely out of control in Iraq.

And Afghanistan is not going according to plan either.

The best thing is to create a new crisis. But which crisis will play better with the domestic and international mainstream media to take the spotlight from Iraq?

1) The US/Iran nuclear crisis?

Or

2) The US/North Korean crisis?

Just a reminder:

Atomic Bomb # 1
    Reason for dropping it in Hiroshima: to end the war in the Pacific.

On August 6, 1945 the nuclear weapon Little Boy was dropped on Hiroshima by Enola Gay, a U.S. Air Force B-29 bomber which was altered specifically to hold the bomb, killing an estimated 80,000 people and heavily damaging 80% of the city. In the following months, an estimated 60,000 more people died from injuries or radiation poisoning. Since 1945, several thousand more hibakusha have died of illnesses caused by the bomb.

Atomic Bomb # 2
    Reason for dropping it in Nagasaki: “Just a test” to see if the other design of the atomic bomb also worked.

On 9 August 1945, Nagasaki was the target of the world's second atomic bomb attack at 11:02 a.m., when the north of the city was destroyed and an estimated 39,000 people were killed outright with another 75,000 believed to have died of bomb-related causes in the decades that followed.

North Korea did not go “crying” to the United Nations when the US was making an environment mess in the Bikini Islands and testing all kinds of nuclear weapons during a period of many years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini_Island

g222: The word "afraid" is your own interpretation …

SouthAmerica: I don’t see other countries around the world “crying fault” because of this minor North Korean missile test.

g222: This guy buys weapons while his people starve and you feel he's capable of acting responsibly with a weapon like this ???

SouthAmerica: What is your benchmark for government responsibility?

A US government immediate response and making all kinds of efforts in helping its own people after the Katrina catastrophe last year?

g222: You seem to believe that just because a 30-year-old can drive a car and own a gun that a 5-year-old should as well.

Your rationale fails to consider the factor of 'responsible behavior'.

SouthAmerica: I guess you are right on your analogy.

The 5-year-old has been irresponsible for many ways – Vietnam war, started a war in Iraq without a good cause, dropped a second atomic bomb in Nagasaki just to see if the other design of the bomb also worked well or which design was more efficient in destroying people and things, and so on…..

(North Korea is a much older country than the US – in your example North Korea is the 30-year-old and the US is the 5-year-old)

You are trying to imply that the US has a history of responsible behavior when in fact the US is the largest arms dealer in the world – selling over 50 percent of the arms that are peddled around the world to the highest bidders.

I wonder how many American soldiers died over the years when these arms that the US sold in the international market were used against the American forces.

g222: And it's also apparent that you feel quite secure within your current living envirnment ... as in ... whatever situations could be manifested as a result of these unstable people possessing these weapons ...

SouthAmerica: Are they more unstable than the Bush/Cheney team?

I doubt that.

g222: And if we didn't go to the UN but acted alone instead ... ???

SouthAmerica: What do you think the US is doing in Iraq?

George W. Bush went to the UN and told them right in their face – the US does not need the UN – the US can do it alone.

Conclusion: North Korea should go on with its testing of the long-range missile.

#54     Jun 23, 2006
    #55     Jun 23, 2006
  6. .

June 24, 2006

SouthAmerica: But is not OK for other countries to improve their defense systems and test it to see if their long-range missile system works.

Nick Leeson Jr: IT IS OK, AND TYPICALLY OTHER COUNTRIES NOTIFY OTHER NATIONS OF THEIR INTENTIONS AND MISSILE TRAJECTORIES, UNLIKE NORTH KOREA

SouthAmerica: I wonder if the Soviet Union notified the United States and the other nations every time they tested some kind of long-ranging missiles or nuclear weapons.

SouthAmerica: Today, the US builds it into a major crisis even though it is a simple test that the entire world knows that - it is just a test.

Nick Leeson Jr: TO CALL IT A MAJOR CRISIS IS TO NOT KNOW WHAT A MAJOR CRISIS IS.

SouthAmerica: It is a major crisis when US officials are calling for the US to shot down the long-range missile that North Korea is trying to test.

And some even crazier people are calling for the US to actually bomb the North Korean missile before the missile it is launched – creating a major US/North Korean crisis – and a preemptive act that can turn into another war.

Only fools would do that!!!!!!!!!

SouthAmerica: Maybe if I were in charge I would do the same thing to take the spotlight from the real problem – the nasty sectarian civil war that is getting completely out of control in Iraq.

Nick Leeson Jr: THE CHINESE WOULD NEVER PUT YOU IN CHARGE, THOUGH I AM POSITIVE YOU WOULD BE A GREAT PUPPET FOR THEM

SouthAmerica: The Chinese don’t need me for anything – they are a bunch of very smart people – Not only the Chinese from Mainland-China, but also the other over 60 million Chinese who live around the world in places such as Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, USA, and so forth….

SouthAmerica: And Afghanistan is not going according to plan either.

Nick Leeson Jr: UN HUH, UH HUH

SouthAmerica: Things are going so bad for the USA in Afghanistan that Karzai – the fellow that the US installed into power in Afghanistan – wants the US to stop killing the Afghan people including the Taliban.

If that is not going wrong – then I don’t understand the meaning of the word “Wrong”.

SouthAmerica: Just a reminder:

Atomic Bomb # 1
    Reason for dropping it in Hiroshima: to end the war in the Pacific.

On August 6, 1945 the nuclear weapon Little Boy was dropped on Hiroshima by Enola Gay, a U.S. Air Force B-29 bomber which was altered specifically to hold the bomb, killing an estimated 80,000 people and heavily damaging 80% of the city. In the following months, an estimated 60,000 more people died from injuries or radiation poisoning. Since 1945, several thousand more hibakusha have died of illnesses caused by the bomb.

Atomic Bomb # 2
    Reason for dropping it in Nagasaki: “Just a test” to see if the other design of the atomic bomb also worked.

On 9 August 1945, Nagasaki was the target of the world's second atomic bomb attack at 11:02 a.m., when the north of the city was destroyed and an estimated 39,000 people were killed outright with another 75,000 believed to have died of bomb-related causes in the decades that followed.

Nick Leeson Jr: CALL IT A TEST IF YOU WANT, BUT I THINK THE BOMB DROPPED ON NAGASAKI WAS DROPPED TO REAP THE SEEDS OF WAR THAT JAPAN HAD SOWED

SouthAmerica: No one will be able to convince me that it was necessary to drop the second atomic bomb in Nagasaki – only 3 days after the first bomb was dropped in Hiroshima. (They did not have CNN satellite television 24/7 in 1945 and it did take time for the news to get around. And they did not give time for the Japanese to check the destruction caused by the first atomic bomb dropped in Hiroshima.)

The second bomb was dropped in Nagasaki as a test because the two bombs had a different design and they wanted to test which design created more destruction.

The USA killed over 115,000 people in Nagasaki in 1945 – mostly women, children, and senior citizens just to test a very destructive nuclear weapon.

There is no rational reason that I know of that could justify the dropping of the second atomic bomb in Nagasaki.

SouthAmerica: North Korea did not go “crying” to the United Nations when the US was making an environment mess in the Bikini Islands and testing all kinds of nuclear weapons during a period of many years.

Nick Leeson Jr: I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT NORTH KOREA HAS NO INTEREST IN THE ENVIRONMENT, MUCH LESS THE ENVIRONMENT OF THE BIKINI ISLANDS

SouthAmerica: It is not only the environment costs – the US displaced thousands of native people who lived on those Islands and the nuclear tests affected many of these native people.

SouthAmerica: I don’t see other countries around the world “crying fault” because of this minor North Korean missile test.

Nick Leeson Jr: WRONG AGAIN, RUSSIA & JAPAN ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT EITHER

SouthAmerica: Japan is worried about the test for obvious reasons and Russia is playing along because the US is asking them to.

SouthAmerica: What is your benchmark for government responsibility?

A US government immediate response and making all kinds of efforts in helping its own people after the Katrina catastrophe last year?

Nick Leeson Jr: I COULD BE WRONG, BUT I SUSPECT THAT 99% OF NORTH KOREANS WOULD RATHER LIVE IN NEW ORLEANS DURING THE AFTERMATH OF HURRICANE KATRINA, THAN IN NORTH KOREA, WE WILL NEVER KNOW SINCE NORTH KOREANS ARE CONFINED TO NORTH KOREA

SouthAmerica: If you think that the New Orleans option after Katrina was an acceptable option – then you don’t understand what really happened to the victims of that Hurricane.

SouthAmerica: (North Korea is a much older country than the US – in your example North Korea is the 30-year-old and the US is the 5-year-old)

Nick Leeson Jr: YES I SUPPOSE YOU ARE RIGHT, NORTH KOREA IS A WISE OLD NATION WITH A VAST LIST OF CONTRIBUTIONS TO HUMANITY, UNLIKE THE US

SouthAmerica: I am not going to get in a pissing contest with you about which civilization is smarter older and so on. There is no point on that.

SouthAmerica: You are trying to imply that the US has a history of responsible behavior when in fact the US is the largest arms dealer in the world – selling over 50 percent of the arms that are peddled around the world to the highest bidders.

Nick Leeson Jr: WHAT ARE ALL THESE "OLDER" RESPONSIBLE PEACE LOVING NATIONS (LIKE NORTH KOREA) DOING, BUYING ALL THESE WEAPONS????

SouthAmerica: I don’t think North Korea has been buying armament from the United States.

But you can bet that most of the killings that goes on around the world in all kinds of conflicts and civil wars – in Africa, in Europe, in Asia, in the Middle East, in South America - they are using all kinds of armaments made in America.

SouthAmerica: What do you think the US is doing in Iraq?

George W. Bush went to the UN and told them right in their face – the US does not need the UN – the US can do it alone.

Nick Leeson Jr: AND BILL CLINTON DID AS WELL BEFORE HE AND NATO BOMBED SERBIA, YOUR POINT??

SouthAmerica: Why are you bringing Bill Clinton to the conversation about Iraq?

As far as I know Bill Clinton never went to the UN and disrespected the entire organization during one of his speeches - Bill Clinton was a gentleman and a real statesman respected around the world.

When George W. Bush went to the United Nations and gave his speech before he started the Iraq war – he looked more like a gunslinger from Texas than the President from the United States – and he insulted everybody in sight.

SouthAmerica: Conclusion: North Korea should go on with its testing of the long-range missile.

Nick Leeson Jr: AND IF IT GOES INTO, OR EVEN APPROACHES US OR JAPAN AIRSPACE IT SHOULD GET SHOT DOWN, BUT I AM DUBIOUS THE NORTH KOREANS WILL BE ABLE TO SUCCESSFULLY TEST FIRE A MISSLE BY THEMSELVES

SouthAmerica: If I understand what you are saying correctly – then the North Koreans also have the right to shot down the US Spy airplanes that has been flying on their air space for the US to be able to spy on them – as they reported in the news today.

The North Koreans are aware of what the US is doing over their air space.

Your logic works both ways and I don’t think the US Air Force would appreciate if the North Koreans also decide to destroy the American intruders spying in their air space.

#56     Jun 24, 2006
  7. g222

g222

#57     Jun 24, 2006
  8. .

June 24, 2006

SouthAmerica: It seems to me that the US is backing down from blowing the North Korea long-range missile testing completely out of proportion.

Come on guys what is the big deal about this simple test?

The North Koreans are not going to attack the US with one or two missiles.

They are not fools!!!!!!!!!

But I still understand why the US needs this diversion to take the US public and international attention from the colossal mess in Iraq.

“U.S. rejects launch of first-strike missile against North Korea”
    By Glenn Kessler
    The Washington Post – June 24, 2006

WASHINGTON — Senior Bush administration officials tried to ease tensions Thursday over a possible North Korean missile launch, playing down the idea of using the nascent missile-defense system and brushing aside a provocative proposal to launch a pre-emptive strike against the missile site…..

#58     Jun 24, 2006
  9. g222

g222

SA, SA ... SA !!! Do you really believe that it's a good idea for NK to find out and make sure this thing works ... ???? Think before you answer, man.

#59     Jun 25, 2006
    #60     Jun 25, 2006