North Korea's Nuclear Weapons

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SouthAmerica, Sep 19, 2005.

1. .

June 21, 2006

SouthAmerica: I wonder why the United States is so “afraid” of a simple long-range missile test to be done by North Korea.

These days the United States is afraid even of its shadow.

What is the big deal about a single long-range missile test?

Today, the United States seems like a big crybaby to the rest of the world...I am going to tell the UN that you are doing a long-range missile test.

I am going to ask the UN to isolate North Korea one more time. This will be the isolation, on top of the isolation, of the isolation, of the isolation and I hope the latest level of the isolation strategy will work.

As a matter of fact in the next level of isolation the US will ask the UN to move the country of North Korea to the moon – on its effort to isolate them.

The only thing that I can do is laugh about it – it is just like a bad joke.

The US has its army and navy scattered all over the world – fighting wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and in Colombia - they also have a presence in Africa, in Asia, and so on…. The US even started a preemptive war against a country that was close to an economic collapse – Iraq.

And North Korea’s test of a single long-range missile - to see if the thing works - is the global threat - and it is ironic that the US wants the world to believe that North Korea’s launch of a single long-range missile would constitute a real threat to international peace and security.

I guess today the incompetent people who are running US foreign policy must also believe that the rest of the world are “Brain Dead.”

June 20, 2006, 8:40PM
    ”U.S. May Seek N. Korea's Further Isolation”
    By BARRY SCHWEID AP Diplomatic Writer
    The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The Bush administration is trying to rally other countries to threaten North Korea with further isolation if it persists in seeking to test long-range ballistic missiles.
    On Tuesday, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice spoke by telephone to South Korean Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon, while U.N. Ambassador John Bolton spoke to members of the U.N. Security Council in New York.

The discussions were described as preliminary and with broad international coordination as the goal. The idea, said deputy State Department spokesman Adam Ereli, "is to see how we can work together to support security and stability in the peninsula."

As President Bush flew to Europe on Tuesday aboard Air Force One, White House spokesman Tony Snow declined to elaborate on what consequences North Korea might face.

"We are simply not going to tip our hand," Snow said.

"There seems to be a desire to create a sense of crisis" by the North Koreans, said national security adviser Stephen Hadley, also on the trip with Bush. "We have tried to convince them that the kind of attention they would get would not be constructive."

Rather than yielding, North Korea has declared it has a right to test missiles despite a 1999 moratorium, reaffirmed in 2002.

Ereli said there had been no direct U.S. contact with North Korea.

"Our preferred course of action is that there not be a missile launch or a missile test, and we've made that clear," he said. "And we have also made clear that any such action would result in North Korea's further isolation in the international community."

Bolton, speaking in Washington, told reporters the first priority before the Security Council was to convince North Korea not to conduct a long-range missile test.

"We're discussing a range of things that fall within the Security Council's domain, given that the launch would constitute a threat to international peace and security," Bolton said.

Pakistan Dawn – Pakistan - June 21, 2006

“US activates missile shields in response to N. Korean threat”
    Editor: Abbas Nasir

WASHINGTON, June 20: The Pentagon has activated its new ground-based interceptor missile defence system following a North Korean threat to test a long-range missile, US media reported on Tuesday.

US officials said on Monday that any long-range missile launch by North Korea would be considered a “provocative act.” US intelligence satellites monitoring N. Korean missile sites reported this week that North Korea’s preparations have advanced to the point where a launch could take place within several days to a month.

Two US Navy Aegis warships are patrolling near North Korea as part of the global missile defence and would be among the first sensors that would trigger the use of interceptor missile, the Washington Times reported on Tuesday.

The US missile defence system includes 11 long-range interceptor missiles, including nine deployed at Fort Greeley, Alaska, and two at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. The system was switched from test to operational mode within the past two weeks, the report said.

One senior Bush administration official told the newspaper that an option being considered would be to shoot down the Taepodong missile with responding interceptors.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice added that any launch would be a serious matter and “would be taken with utmost seriousness and indeed a provocative act.”

White House spokesman Tony Snow told reporters in Washington that President Bush had telephoned more than a dozen heads of state regarding North Korea’s launch preparations. He did not identify the leaders.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the US has made it clear to North Korea that the communist regime should abide by the missile-test ban it imposed in 1999 and reaffirmed in a pact with Japan in 2002.

“US Northern Command continues to monitor the situation, and we are prepared to defend the country in any way necessary,” said spokesman Michael Kucharek.

Any decision to shoot down a missile would be made at the highest command levels, which includes the president, secretary of defence and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

John R. Bolton, the US ambassador to the United Nations, said earlier that the Bush administration is consulting other Security Council members on how to respond to a Taepodong launch.

US intelligence officials told reporters there are signs that the North Koreans recently began fuelling the Taepodong with highly corrosive rocket fuel. Normally, when liquid fuel is loaded into missiles the missile must be fired within five to 10 days, or it must be de-fuelled and the motors cleaned, a difficult and hazardous process.

The Taepodong was first tested in August 1998, and North Korea claimed that it was a space launch vehicle that orbited a satellite.

#41     Jun 21, 2006
  2. .

June 23, 2006

SouthAmerica: This article published by the AP must have been provided by the Pentagon to scare the North Koreans – Picka Booooooo

I can picture the North Koreans response:

Oh, No, No

Please don’t talk like that – we are afraid - you are scaring us to death.

I saw in the news tonight an American politician saying that the US has to do everything it can to stop North Korea from launching its long-range missile for a simple test.

He said that the US couldn’t allow the North Koreans to get the data related to their long-range missile test.

The North Koreans are not allowed to advance their military technology – we are the only ones that can do it.

I can play with these toys but you can’t. – I am going to tell on you to the UN.

“White House turns aside talk of pre-emptive strike”
    AP – Associated Press
    June 23, 2006

WHITE HOUSE (AP) - President Bush's national security adviser is brushing aside suggestions that the U.S. launch a pre-emptive strike against a North Korean missile as it sits on the launch pad.

Former President Clinton's defense secretary, William Perry, advocated such a strike in today's edition of The Washington Post.

National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley brushed aside Perry's suggestion, instead expressing hope North Korea would negotiate and ultimately decide against test-firing the missile, which is believed capable of reaching the U.S.

Hadley briefed reporters in Hungary during a Bush visit.

The U-S suggested today its ability to shoot a North Korean missile out of the sky is limited. Still, it warned Pyongyang would pay a cost for a missile launch.

#42     Jun 23, 2006
  3. One sad thing that I hate about this whole thing is that while Pyongyang spends millions on weapons, millions of its citizens go to bed hungry. How freaking sad!!!!!!

I am scared of loonies like that having those weapons, because they may just sell it to oil money sponsored and madrass bred terrorists. That is the real danger.

However, US had opened the Pandora's box as it has developed and tested countless WMDs and even used WMD on a country in the name of saving US lives. I think that gives other countries to develop weapons which they can say can be used to save their citizens' lives. I don't think US can afford to attack NK when they have those weapons. It is a good deterrent to the imperialistic ideas of the neocons.

#43     Jun 23, 2006
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

This is to funny...as to suggest that the IRAQ debacle is/was a piece of cake... :D

#44     Jun 23, 2006
  5. Oh, of course, its the fault of the US, that's what it all boils down to . . .

#45     Jun 23, 2006
  6. I am not sure if any other country has used nuclear weapons in war other than the US.

#46     Jun 23, 2006
  7. No shit, I don't think anyone disputes that. To blame the US for nuclear proliferation is asinine, but apparently it hasn't stopped you.

#47     Jun 23, 2006
  8. g222

g222

The word "afraid" is your own interpretation ... but we should all be afraid, concerned, bothered, unhappy, cautious, defensive and alarmed when a reckless leadership like this wants to see if their new toy works.

This guy buys weapons while his people starve and you feel he's capable of acting responsibly with a weapon like this ??? The islamics slaughter their own women and children while they sleep, while they eay and while they pray... and you feel that their leadership would act responsibly with WMD ???

You seem to believe that just because a 30-year-old can drive a car and own a gun that a 5-year-old should as well. Your rationale fails to consider the factor of 'responsible behavior'. And it's also apparent that you feel quite secure within your current living envirnment ... as in ... whatever situations could be manifested as a result of these unstable people possessing these weapons ... you could NEVER]/b] possibly be affected. Well ... think again!!!

#48     Jun 23, 2006
  9. g222

g222

And if we didn't go to the UN but acted alone instead ... ???

I'm beginning to think that you're living proof that the gene pool needs a little chlorine.

#49     Jun 23, 2006
  10. g222

g222

The US has been chastised for using the bomb against Japan, and it most certainly would have been chastised had it allowed the slaughter of tens of thousands of its soldiers while in possession of a means to prevent such an outcome.

I vote being chastised for dropping the bomb.

#50     Jun 23, 2006