Noob VIX Futures Options Questions

Discussion in 'Options' started by MidwesternTrader, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Good advice, I'll set some of the position to capture a quick spike. Or maybe setup a ladder at progressively higher prices to try and maximize a larger spike scenario.

#21     Jan 20, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. That's what I do too, though, usually I close out because the highest sell order is well above what's likely to occur.

You have a bit more flexibility on the long side since you don't have to worry about the short legs pinning you for the spread is it closes at the wrong price. But the size of the move you have to catch to make that strategy play out over time works against my purposes (some quick cash to offset my losses on my bullish portfolio)...plus the nerves of steel this requires.

#22     Jan 20, 2018
    tommcginnis and MidwesternTrader like this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I don't think you'll make this. But BOY do I hope you do.
    I would watch ES volume -- there has been a pattern of big *squeeze* sales in recent V-bottoms, and if something sparks a run down in the market, that big volume "Help meee-eeeee!" spike should mark the top of the local VIX -- and the top of your VIX options. I'd pluck right there -- whether 13.5, 14.5, or 15+.

BEST WISHES.

(*Really?!?!? 15¢????? Awesome.)

#23     Jan 21, 2018
  4. truetype

truetype

You're overthinking it. Stick to your system.

#24     Jan 22, 2018
  5. Very much odds against (95% against??) any thing comes of this, but that is why they cost .15 cents. I think the fill was made by some program trading system looking at discrepancies in VIX option Bid / Asks. The Bid / Ask at the time was .10 / .20. When I put in the .15 bid, it was instantly hit, so I'm guessing a program picked up the spread shrinking and it filled all 10 calls.

#25     Jan 22, 2018
  6. You're right. If it works, it doesn't matter why it worked. If I can pick these ups for .15 a call each Friday afternoon (big if though), try it for a period of times and see how it goes. It only needs to hit once to be long term profitable at .15 a call.

#26     Jan 22, 2018
  7. i960

i960

This is only the issue if one is paying attention to the VIX itself as a source of intrinsic value to their options - which they sure as hell shouldn't be. Unless one has some specific expiring contract settlement concerns they should be paying attention to the futures first and foremost.

#27     Jan 22, 2018
  8. Even against the futures they won't show true "intrinsic" value...In fact they're unlikely to trade at / above "parity" until expiration. The VIX itself is already a second derivative product, the options thereon are third derivative.

#28     Jan 22, 2018
  9. sle

sle

well...

#29     Jan 22, 2018
    i960 likes this.