Noob Style

Discussion in 'Journals' started by nooby_mcnoob, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Actually, I didn't see your post until after I made that post. I think your point of a loss limit is good (if I understand correctly.) What you are saying is:

* Don't limit the upside
    * Limit the downside to (say) 20% off peak before you take a breather

Is that correct?

#51     Dec 29, 2010
  2. SteveH

SteveH

noob,

The two best futures contracts to trade are the CL (Crude) and the TF (Russell 2K e-mini). I've been trading the TF for 7 years.

You gotta dump stocks and ETFs for day trading. Futures aren't capital intensive and the gains are taxed at 60% long-term / 40% short-term rates. In your tax bracket, that amounts to a savings of about 6K-7K per year on every 100K you make on futures gains over trading stocks/ETFs. Plus, it's a one-liner on your tax form (Section 1256 contracts) no matter how many trades you take in a year.

Risk your least in the beginning of a trade and incrementally add too winners if you want to go for more than a scalp. If you go for a scalp, go all-in / all-out and, as you gain more experience, consider incrementally scaling up your scalps as you have more "stop money" to play with [i.e. first, you fish for chum, then you use the chum to catch the big fish].

The overwhelming majority of newbies will trade heavy on their initial position and then take contracts off as the trade goes their way. This mathematically demands higher winning pcts. You can get very nice reward to risk ratios with lower winning pcts necessary if you DON'T trade this way.

Good luck.

#52     Dec 29, 2010
  3. Exactly! You have restored my confidence in you hahahah

Experiment with the % as you will find a level that works well for you. I don't use it any more because I feel I have built up the discipline to manage it now.

But yeah I think you understand what I mean and the Livermoore quote is very relevant if you think of your daily P&L as a trade / stock.... i.e. you would be buying more when your p&l is breaking out... of course you would... would you be adding to your p&l when your losing .... of course you shouldn't

#53     Dec 29, 2010
  4. Dec 29, 2010:

Net of sales: $-78, Net of commissions: $-94
    % on capital used: -0.42%
    % index gain: 0.1%
    Trade size: 300

Today was a low volume day. The main loss was taken on a fake out. As I'm watching, I'm thinking "there is no volume, this thing is going to tank" but I used the Costanza method to talk myself out of it. Sure enough...

Not sure what the moral of the story is today. I don't know how to use the loss cutoff as suggested by others. Should it be loss in a trade or realized losses? I think probably realized losses.

Still, too many trades today. So far, I've had 3 up days, 3 down days. Nothing consistent yet.

On the plus side, I kept adding on to my trading journal software. That's going pretty well :)

#54     Dec 29, 2010
  5. I guess I've gotta look into it. This looks to be where it's at for multiple reasons. I've never known anyone who trades futures but not like that's stopped me before.

Interesting that you also trade Russell 2K. Maybe that will help me :D

Anyway, how do you get IB to let you to trade futures given you have no experience? :D

#55     Dec 29, 2010
  6. This is not entirely true. The only consistency so far is that I can lose or make money independent of the market action.

Kind of...

#56     Dec 29, 2010
  7. This how I did it... On your up days what is your average positive p&l?... Say it's $100 then when you reach that level put your loss from top in place. I would normally wait till I closed out the current trade and put the loss from top on. Then once it's on and if you reach your loss from top get out of your trades and stop trading.

Doing this often enough will teach you to be able to hang onto your gains in a day. The worst feeling by far in trading is turn a positive day into a negative one

#57     Dec 30, 2010
  8. dojistarz

dojistarz Guest

"The worst feeling by far in trading is turn a positive day into a negative one"

Been there.
    Done that.
    WAAAAAAAAAY too often.

that is the reason why I added that clause to my trading.
    Daily/weekly target.

I cannot remember how many times I had a good profit by 11am EST
    and then things would turn sour to the negative side, I would have to fight til the closeing bell just to break even.
    Not to mention I was stressed out, exhausted and shaken(confidence).

I can only concentrate for so long so I give my best first then disapear for the rest of the day.
    It had been the most significant strategy to
    keep profits, build confidence and do thing more fun than
    staring at a screen.

I admire those who can do it efficiently all day long,
    but it is not my case.

Cheers

#58     Dec 30, 2010
  9. cvds16

cvds16

I don't want to rain on your parade, but it will take you a few years at least to get consistent ...

#59     Dec 30, 2010
  10. Yeah but what good profession doesn't have a training period. This is his training period.

I also guarantee that more optimistic people make it then pessimistic... So OP understand that this poster is probably correct but it does you no good to have these things in you thinking... Prove 'em all wrong!

#60     Dec 30, 2010