Noob question about code hosting

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by tradingexplorer, Feb 23, 2018.

1. I'm very new to Algo Trading, so I apologize in advance for the noob question...

I'm a bit confused as to where you HOST your code?

I.e. Do you have a script running on your own computer 24/7 that's analyzing signals and then manages the auto-trades? (And thus has to be running 24/7 and connected to the Internet 24/7)

Or do brokerage systems have a way that you can upload and 'run' code for your account that will be running at all times (until you stop it) and you don't need a computer connected 24/7?

And if you can't host it on the brokerage side, can you setup something like Amazon Web Services (or any other dedicated Internet server) and it will 'run' the code 24/7 and you can just use your own computer (whenever you get access) to monitor the activity and/or make changes to the script?

Is there any sort of consensus service that most Algo Traders use, such as is AWS pretty common place to host trading scripts?

Thanks for any help. Sincerely appreciate it!

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

What asset class?
    Is this a low latency set up?

In general you run your your own code from your server either local or hosted. Then you connect to your broker through an API to route to the exchange and make queries.

Give me a call this morning if you want to chat.

Bob

3. The bucket shops will host your scripts with MetaTrader until you blow your account up. I also don't trust them to not read your code.

The better way IMHO is to go with a platform such as Interactive Brokers and rent a server. You can then run your algo + their API connection kit (IB call it Gateway for instance) on the server.

A Linux server will do (very cheap at e.g. Digital Ocean or Linode). Some people run algos on their home machines but there's more risk of dropping connection / crash etc.

4. sprstpd

sprstpd

Just run from your own machine (to cut down on costs and complexity) until you prove to yourself everything is working.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  5. Great advice!

Thanks, everyone!

6. gkishot

gkishot

If you are planning to rent a Linux server, php or python are the best envs to code in.