Nondirectional trade , is it possible ?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Hombre, Dec 1, 2008.

1. check out the online courses on the cboe website. All free now if u register and have everything u need. Thats all I started with. Haven't looked back. And get a paper account.

#11     Dec 4, 2008
  2. xtanda

xtanda

I fully agree that those seminar/workshop/bootcamp/whatever the name is simply overprice. If you looking for some interactive question/answer, usually they don't have or have very limited time anyway.

Some people are autodidac so they can pickup any book and learn from it (and most importance : then have some confidence to kick start themselves). Unfortunately, most of the people are not.

In my opinion, the better model for a real plain newbie to take up trading is to have one on one mentorship which the mentor is commission based. If the student making profit, the mentor got some percentage capped to certain figure. If they don't take action or making profit, no money for the mentor.

What do you think?

p.s: mm, to make my post relevant with this thread: Yes, it's possible to have non directional trading. My favorite is protected buy-write. (not spectacular profit, but very low risk and quite non directional)

Thanks

#12     Dec 8, 2008
  3. No such thing as "non-directional trades". Up, down or sideways are all directions that the stock must move in order for you to profit from your particular position.

forex-forex
    --------------
    Trading guru

#13     Dec 9, 2008
  4. Would you give an example of protected buy-write ?
    Thanks,

#14     Dec 9, 2008
  5. MTE

MTE

A protected buy-write...hmm...my guess would be it's a collar, which is synthetically equivalent to a long call vertical spread or a short put vertical spread. In other words, unless you already hold the long stock, you are better off doing a vertical spread than a collar.

#15     Dec 9, 2008
  6. xtanda

xtanda

spot on MTE !

I already hold on the stock for long time with long term put option (9 months-12 months) as protection. The dividend for the company more less pay for the put (so like 'free' capital guarantee).

Very-very handy during the rough patch like last year.

Then I just do covered call on them and buy back everytime got exercised. So this is more on income strategy than capital gain.

#16     Dec 10, 2008