Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

There aren't hundreds of millions of fully auto weapons in circulation. This isn't a fair comparison of anything.

You can't make possession of guns a severe crime because its is constitutionally protected.

#11     Jul 10, 2019
    LS1Z28 likes this.
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Its been almost a year, and only 700 out of 1.5 million were turned in. I suppose it will take time, and NZ will be gun free 2,142 years from now. Can't wait!

#12     Jul 10, 2019
  3. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

So if legislation like this has led to compliance by 1/20 of 1 percent of New Zealand citizens, just imagine how miserably similar legislation would fail in the U.S. where citizens are guaranteed the constitutional right to bear arms.

The small amount of firearms that were surrendered were probably owned by the safest gun owners in their country. This legislation probably made their country a more dangerous place.

#13     Jul 10, 2019
  4. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Penalties for non compliance aren't strong enough.Make illegal possession a 10 year prison sentence and they'll line up to turn in banned firearms.That would succeed in The US as well thats why virtually no one has illegal full auto weapens or grenade launchers etc.

#14     Jul 10, 2019
  5. UsualName

UsualName

Nah, look at the acceleration in the decrease of smoking. It will take time but with some persistence, they’ll get there.

#15     Jul 10, 2019
  6. UsualName

UsualName

I disagree with this. Stopping the sales is the main thing and people will come around. Being forceful never helps, giving incentives and peer pressure does.

#16     Jul 10, 2019
  7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Id love to have an M4 with a grenade launcher attached,so would many gun owners.I don't own one because of the jail time I would be doing if caught with one.I think that would work with any weapon.

#17     Jul 10, 2019
  8. UsualName

UsualName

Well I think you don’t own one first and foremost because it was never available to you. Now if you had a grenade launcher and it suddenly became illegal for you to own one then I can understand you being hesitant to turn it in.

New Zealand is going to have to offer heavy incentives to get a lot of the weapons out of circulation and that’s ok. You pay either in money or in blood. I’d rather pay the money than have uncontrolled guns in the country.

Over time the guns will lessen and the people still smoking or owning guns will be outcasts and then the peer pressure will work.

I think expecting a massive turn in of weapons in less than a year is just childish. This is something that has to be worked on over years.

#18     Jul 10, 2019
  9. One thing is clear. The more guns out there, the less feasible any sort of Kamala Harris confiscation scheme is going to be. Patriotic Americans need to be taking advantage of one of the best periods in our recent history to stock up on guns and ammo, particularly the sort likely to be banned, eg AR's, high cap mags, etc.

You can buy reliable AR 15's for under $500, there are plenty of deals around to get 30 round AR mags for next to nothing when you buy ammo, and high quality semi-auto pistols are available for under $500, with many costing a lot less if you look around.

#19     Jul 10, 2019
  10. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

The penalties for possession plays a large part in that imo.

I can get modified semi auto to full auto weapons but I wont touch those eitheir.

#20     Jul 10, 2019
    UsualName likes this.