Non-resident vs. citizen

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ChrisM, Apr 15, 2003.

1. ChrisM

ChrisM

Expatrader, thx for valuable information. One Q: why using Taxpayer Identification Number you get exemption from 30% withholding ? Does Uncle Sam considers you then being under his jurisdiction ?

#31     Apr 17, 2003
  2. To get the TIN, the individual must apply using notarized documentation showing what country he/she is a resident/national of, and so eligible to claim the particular treaty benefits, if any. The tax payer id number is also just in general what the IRS uses for people who have no social security number. Note that even if a person could not get exemption from the withholding on a treaty basis, they could get a tax refund of some or all of the withheld money later, but I imagine they need a TIN to work through that also. I have not looked into the refund angle as it does not apply to the case I am interested in.

The W-8 BEN is used to claim eligiblity for treaty benefits, and is sent to the brokerage, not the IRS. Thus, I believe the responsibility is more on the brokers to keep track of who is from where and who they need to withhold on or not. Then the brokers use the numbers in their paperwork to the IRS regarding those who got exemptions from withholding.

To make a long story short, go to the Phillipines, Korea, or other selected locales, marry a local, don't get them a res visa or green card, get them a TIN, set up an account for them, and start trading hard! You may also need the TIN to set up a bank account to shift all that loot to. Just be sweet to your partner and you carry the atm card.

#32     Apr 17, 2003
  3. ChrisM

ChrisM

Man, you could be tax attorney :)
    Thx for all insights. BTW do you know by any chance what`s the story with Western European countries ? I`m already married to Dutch girl which can make things easier, just have to check waters first.

#33     Apr 17, 2003
  4. mkmps

mkmps

food for thought: best of my knowledge, larger part of europe tax system is totally based on paycheck deductions, it has no such thing as tax filing after the fiscal year ends.

I am Lithuanian by nationality, and there is zero tax on cap gains from derivatives and something like 10% on equities, and even then it is only if you use a local broker (no big names Wallstreet names in Lithuania yet). If your account is with MSDW or ML or even IB for that matter, you're basically tax free, and there are no one who could catch you since there is no laws that reglament such a thing.

I had a friend of mine look into this that works for PWC tax department in Lithuania and he said it is totally doable. The catch - you have to be in Lithuania for over 180 days per year.

the catch for US citizens? well, it is illegal for US citizen to do that.
    MK

#34     Apr 17, 2003
  5. ChrisM

ChrisM

I have this strong feeling that we are moving around grey area of business and this world eventually gets smaller some day. I wonder why is that ? Are we traders, the last frontier of pure capitalism ? Or, as we represent only minority of the world`s society, our governments are just too busy controlling majorities:)

#35     Apr 17, 2003
  6. kiwi

kiwi

#36     Apr 17, 2003
  7. ChrisM

ChrisM

#37     Apr 18, 2003
  8. Looks like the Netherlands is not one of the favored places.
    For cap gains relief anyway. There are other benefits related to Amsterdam...

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/nether.pdf

ARTICLE 14
    Capital Gains
    1. Gains derived by a resident of one of the States from the disposition of real property situated in
    the other State may be taxed in the other State. For the purposes of this paragraph the term "real
    property situated in the other State" shall include:
    a) real property referred to in Article 6 (Income from Real Property); and
    b) shares or other comparable corporate rights in a company that is a resident of that
    other State, the assets of which company consist, directly or indirectly, for the greater part of
    real property situated in that other State, and an interest in a partnership, trust, or estate, to the
    extent that it is attributable to real property situated in that other State.

#38     Apr 19, 2003
  9. However, upon checking IRS Publication 901, which is by the way a key resource for anyone intersted in tax treaty stuff, it looks like Netherlands residents do have zero cap gains liability in the states as long as the gains are not connected with any permanent establishment there.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p901.pdf

Trading tax free from Amsterdam! Oh yeah...

#39     Apr 19, 2003
  10. The Swiss pay no capital gains tax on stock/futures investments either in the US or elsewhere. Small independent country not part of the EU with it's myriad of compliant rules etc.

Possible solution for an American man?
    Find a nice Swiss lady to marry and come to live in Switzerland with her. If you meet her in the US, make sure she is neither a US citizen nor a US green card holder. Once in Switzerland, open the trading account (with a US broker) in her name only and file Form W8-Ben with the broker. As a local Swiss national, your wife owes the US nothing. You get the best of all worlds ...hell of place to live, the benefits of US brokerage account, trade Eurex and Globex at civilised hours of the day and accumulate your gains tax-free. Banking your gains in Switzerland for futher investment is also 100% private under law. No need to give up US citizenship because it's your wife that is making money not you. After all, you may want to go back to the US for retirement c/o your wife's trading gains over the years. Then again, once you've lived in beautiful & prosperous Switzerland for a while (where so many people speak English), you may not want to go back!

#40     Apr 19, 2003