Non-resident vs. citizen

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ChrisM, Apr 15, 2003.

1. ChrisM

ChrisM

okwon, thx for insights. So, you say that foreign location can give you some tax break or no matter where you are, your tax dues will be about the same (more or less)?

#11     Apr 15, 2003
  2. If you are non-US; you have the world at your feet ...

#12     Apr 15, 2003
  3. okwon

okwon

Foreign location can give you a tax break for 80k, as long as you're not getting taxed by the foreign jurisdiction. Actually, you could probably get little more using some good offshore accountants. You really need to get some expert advise though.

#13     Apr 15, 2003
  4. okwon

okwon

Without taxes to pay on trading, investing, and income in general, you would be at a huge advantage accumulating capital and compounding it into an enormous sum.

#14     Apr 15, 2003
  5. Huge is an understatement ...

#15     Apr 15, 2003
  6. ChrisM

ChrisM

OK, so what`s the US interest to let foreigners trade in US markets ? Liquidity ?

#16     Apr 16, 2003
  7. Metooxx, I thought you still had to pay taxes from the bahamas still?

#17     Apr 16, 2003
  8. ChrisM

ChrisM

So...does it happen, that people give up of their US citizenship ?

#18     Apr 16, 2003
  9. okwon

okwon

I think it happens all the time. However, the IRS knows this happens and came up with an exit tax. If they determine that you are giving up your US citizenship for tax purposes, they apply a special tax which is a tax on your estimated income for the next 10 years. If you don't pay, you can never enter the US again.

Funny, I thought we lived in a free country.

#19     Apr 16, 2003
  10. ChrisM

ChrisM

Old saying is ...is free as much, as it is. But many years ago I heard that foreign traders were subject to 30% of their funds in US brokerages to be freezed towards prospective taxes, is that true ?

#20     Apr 16, 2003